1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making Fish Eyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by oldyellowdog, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:57 AM.

1. oldyellowdog

oldyellowdog Member

I am building a one-off fish, and can't find a suitable eye, is there a method to make my own?

I am looking for aprox 40 mm, with an odd shaped pupil.thought about grinding plexi-glass and buffing clear... any other fishhead idears??

was going to pour my own, but was worried about bubbles.

thanks Dan

2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I’d just get a tohickon 135 flint eye, modify the pupil shape as needed a paint away

Sotired likes this.

3. Scott Humble

Scott Humble New Member

Dan I've used the following method with plexiglass. Get a coke or beer bottle or some glass container with a round smooth lip. then get a round spherical object slightly smaller like a marble. Heat up 3/32' or 1/8' thick plexiglass in oven until soft. lay the plexiglass on top of the bottle lip and press the marble into the back of it. This will create a concave plexiglass shell you can grind or cut out of the sheet . Then you can paint the inside. I like black fingernail polish for the pupil. This has worked real well for large custom bird eyes. 40 millimeters is a big eye so you would need to scale everything up and it might take a little experimentation to get the right combination for the fish eye shape but I think it could work.

Cecil and Sotired like this.
  4. oldyellowdog

oldyellowdog Member

thanks Scott, i'll have to play around with this some more.
    Dan

5. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

s-l500.png Fish eyes, at least the cornea, are not exactly spherical. The iris and pupil are behind the cornea that is more flattened by water pressure. The rest of the eye (sclerotic capsule) is round though. You could check Ebay for clear glass cobachons. They come in enormous sizes that some folks paint as "dragon eyes". You could find some the right size, paint as desired, and set in a sculpted sclerotic capsule of epoxy putty.

~S

Cecil likes this.