1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Big Bear!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by skullclnr, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

1. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

To all of u that like big preadators! This was a cool opportunity and experience. Won't see many bigger ever, I promise u that. To say the least it was a giant, officially taped at 29 4/16 .
    20180729_180958.jpg
    20181216_115721.jpg
    20181216_120517.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    Skullery likes this.
  2. Wow!! That’s a dandy. How long did the degrease take?

skullclnr likes this.

3. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I couldn't start till we had it scored, I think it had about 4+ months for degreasing after and still was still greasy even in those pics.

4. Awesome skull.I just started cleaning an Alaskan Brown bear skull yesterday that I thought was a big one.That one makes mine look like a black bear.

skullclnr likes this.
  5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

That is a big hog of an old bear looking at the tooth wear. Do you know what it weighed alive? The big one I have came from a bear that was almost 1400 pounds. Biggest bear of the season and killed within the last hour of the last day on Kodiak. How did you end up degreasing that?

Pic below of the head after the kill. Can't find the one with hunter sitting next to it for reference.

bear_head_1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 8:27 PM
  6. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Ammonia soaks. lots of them! It was still greasy when I sent it back but it was a old boy. You can see a pic of it on Pope and youngs website as it's the new world record with a bow

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

That hunter must be still dancing to have achieved that. Balls of steel too. I would not choose to put an arrow in one of those. You just piss it off.

skullclnr likes this.