1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ideas For Crappie Pattern?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Fishingtyler, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

36CC0414-60C2-4A9C-B775-F08C03A428B7.jpeg Alright guys I’ve posted once before on my first attempt at mounting a fish. I’m back with my second attempt. This time it was a crappie. I feel like I did a decent job of the pattern but I’d love some advice! What do you guys use for crappie? Airbrush? Paint brush? Charcoal? I’m not confident enough to use an airbrush on any pattern yet so I used charcoal and a blending stump. I might add that this is a reproduction blank that I bought online. It is not complete as I still need to do some blues and purple tipping along the back. Thanks for any advice

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That pattern looks good, now you need to add color and reflection to that fish. When you do, it should come together. I often times start by applying the marks with vine charcoal and then when it is looking good I flash seal it and then move on and as some of the marks start to get buried during the rest of the stages I'll come back with thinned and retarded black and hit some of them again, just enough to make them pop to my liking. When you look at a crappie not all of the markings appear to have a consistent value, as they appear to when you first lay them down.

Fishingtyler likes this.

3. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

You can also use a lead pencil for the markings. Give you a lot of control.

JL and Fishingtyler like this.
  4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I really like the web markings on the fins but think you need more webbing towards the rear of the fins. I realize there can be solid shading toward the rear, but think your fish fins are too solid towards the rear. Otherwise very nice!

JL, Fishingtyler and Fallenscale like this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I agree you can always shade them darker or blend them out later but apply them to the end of the fins.

Fishingtyler, Sotired and Cecil like this.
  6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I think it's a great start! One thing that bothers me though is your pelvic fins. They're positioned too far forward IMO. I'd grind them off and re-position them angling slightly back at the very least and also check on the angle of the attachment point. Not sure if that's correct. Hard to tell in the pic. I also like to alter the position of one of the two fins slightly. Yours look like they are in perfect alignment with each other. Rarely happens in nature!

Sotired likes this.
  7. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Good point Marty. I see that a lot. I think most guys fully fan ventral fins (pectoral and pelvic on some fishes) and point them down because it allows the viewer to see the entire fin. It's accurate to position those fins anywhere from pointing down all the way up to flush with the belly. Flush with the belly they are very hard to see at all. I think ventral fin position is one of those features that most customers are oblivious to.

Sotired and FishArt like this.