1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Charcoal?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ballright, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Ballright

Ballright New Member

I see on here a lot use vine charcoal for detail work messing around on paper I like and get better results using charcoal pencils plan on appiling just before clear coat will this be ok? I believe the pencils have a different makeup

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That late in the game you better plan on flash sealing them with at least a couple coats of just about any clear prior to applying your final clear coats. From my experience with any kind of pencil is that it will leave impressions on the surface, not just color, if you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm sure it has with me pressing too hard but to get the look I want it seems I need to. Also markings on fish aren't typically above the colors but rather under them.

Mudbat and Sotired like this.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Try vine charcoal

Sotired likes this.
  4. Ballright

Ballright New Member

Ok I think I see what you're saying so I should probably apply the markings multiple times during the painting process and not at the end

Sotired and 3bears like this.
  5. Ballright

Ballright New Member

Just wondering at what stage meaning if I do it first before applying color will it be wasted effort, thanks for your help! Appreciate it greatly

Sotired likes this.
  6. Ballright

Ballright New Member

I had planned on a flash coat after the charcoal

Sotired likes this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It depends on what fish I'm painting as to when exactly I apply the markings. On fish such as crappies, sunfish, bass I will lay them down first before I start adding colors but will often do as I said in another thread and go back over them as I see it is needed.

Sotired likes this.
  8. Ballright

Ballright New Member

So a charcoal pencil is not the way to go then I didn't notice a depth or thickness difference on paper when comparing to vine would tamping with a brush help to not leave impressions you talk about? I just find ican control it better but most certainly will go with your advice saying not to use it. thanks again for your help

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm not sure if tamping with a brush will help. I tend to have a heavy hand. Here's a thought with using pencils sand the tip and use a brush dipped in the powder from that on the fish.

Sotired likes this.