1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning With Alcohol

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Catfishcreek, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Catfishcreek

Catfishcreek New Member

Hello, can you actually tan with alcohol? I've heard that you can but you can only use it for thin skin mammals? Does this make a good tan or are other methods better? Can anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks.

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Go to a post fox slippage last post was like 13 hours ago.. Then look for cyclone post at near end there a link that takes you to a old post by Amy on tanning great step by step how's she tans

3. Catfishcreek

Catfishcreek New Member

Ok Fallenscale, I will check it out! Thanks a lot!

Fallenscale likes this.
  4. Fallenscale

NY
    If you're wondering where to get Rittel tanning supplies go to Tasco taxidermy supplies

5. Catfishcreek

Catfishcreek New Member

I have read amys post before. I have looked at her website and watched her videos. She is pretty Good!

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

To answer your question, I don't think alcohol actually tans.

7. To me it's more of a pickle, but I use it and have good results with it on deer as well as small game. I use krowtann also but don't like them shrinkage i get.

8. ShawnK

ShawnK Don't take criticism to heart, it's a free lesson

Does drinking beer while tanning count?

Chippers likes this.
  9. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Would love to hear the process for preserving with alcohol if anyone wants to run through it. And it's not a tan! Still looking for alternatives to tanning (allergic). I'm familiar with the steps to tan but am not sure how that translates over to the alcohol technique. I would always rough flesh, salt, send to tannery and they'd do the shaving, then I'd do the detail thinning and mount. Not sure if you need to salt or anything with the alcohol, and when to do the shaving. Any info is appreciated. Just trying to figure out the right steps and order to do things.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Denatured alcohol is partially responsible for my liver disease. Wearing gloves and a respirator is what I recommend.

11. Catfishcreek

Catfishcreek New Member

I think I should have said "Preserve with alcohol" ?

12. Fallenscale

NY
    Yes you can preserve with alcohol. I feel tanning your hide ,mount will have longer life.

13. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Yeah, I'm at the point where I don't know how to do taxidermy anymore without getting sick. Have a bag of dry preservative and am worried that made me sick, my stomach was messed up most of January and I put some on a skull plate to dry it out around that time. I will check it again when I feel brave enough to try it. Possibly there's still a tan that would work for me but can't risk touching anything. Wish you could get an alcohol for industrial use that wasn't poisoned, they took a relatively safe product and made it toxic. I have no problem wearing gloves but really hate wearing a respirator all the time!