1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting Pheasant Waddles

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ahagenston, Feb 16, 2019.

1. ahagenston

ahagenston New Member

Have mounted a few pheasants but trying to get better. I see some of the professional ones posted here and the waddles always look so much better than mine ever turn out. I have tried both acrylic paint and air brushing with bright red. Also have some of this 'Pheasant waddle coloring' powder from Matuska Taxidermy supply but haven't figured out how to use it yet. Appreciate any tips. I will post a pic of my latest pheasant once the waddles dry and I do something to color them right.

2. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Message RichMO on here. I thought he posted his technique before.

3. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Search the tutorials for more options.

4. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

Thanks Guy... I"m taking a course with Kent to straighten my butt out on them..... But for what it is worth after I inject the wattle area with caulk I take a soft scrubber brush to lift the red and dark green feathers of the wattles up. I come back and do this again 12 hrs later on again. Then I use Gill red with my air brush cranked up to blow feathers apart as I apply the paint. I'll let you know how my class went with Kent after he kicks the crap out of me in class....LOL

bucksnort10, 3bears and Wildthings like this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have used red sharpies on them.

6. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

7. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I used to take red acrilic paint and "dab it" it works, but then I learned about turning up the air pressure like Rich said. Gill red and about 80 psi get real close. You can keep alot of the original color if you keep your hands off them. And if you gas....do not get the waddles in the gas.

bucksnort10 and ahagenston like this.
  8. I have never tried it but an old taxidermist I used to visit while on vacation used red flock on the waddles. Don't know if it works or not but may be another option.

9. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Cut the fuzz off of a red pipe cleaner if you can't find red flocking.

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Brooke, I hardly notice any change.
    The method Rich described is the best way I've found.
    I learned it in a seminar.

11. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rich for adding your 2 cents. Appreciated.