1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Neck Wire

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Cameron Young, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Cameron Young

Cameron Young New Member

Hey guys,
    I was wondering what you guys preferred for neck wires, annealed or copper. Also what gauges do you use for different size birds and also gauges for flying vs standing.
    Thanks!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Both work well.

3. ahagenston

ahagenston New Member

I prefer annealed because it gives a softer bend. I use 14 for most birds with 6 inch or shorter necks, go heavier for bigger birds with longer necks like geese. Also I find it best to pre bend your neck before mounting, then move it around to mount and it will most times 'memory' back to how I wanted it.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

With the price of copper versus annealed, that one seems easy. I always kept a stockpile of straight wires from 14 to 6. I bought 1/4 inch rod stock for heavier birds on wall mounts (flying turkeys, geese, swans, and pterodactyls. I stayed away from thread stock as it's pot metal and snaps easily when bent. I always bought the 4 foot straight wire instead of the coiled as occasionally you need to attach a drill to a leg or wing wire to get it to go through. Coil wire won't cut that mission.

Cameron Young likes this.