1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

More On Cwd.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by John C, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Much of this is what my daughter has spoken on in some of her seminars to taxidermist.

rigbobby and Whitetails1 like this.
  2. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Now I am considering NOT accepting whitetails from deer farms or with tag holes in the ear. What do you think?

msestak likes this.

3. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    "I'm going to have to scare the hell out of you" "Insidious and dire" With out immediate action we are facing depletions, extinctions, crashing economies, and millions of human lives at stake"

I'm sorry...but this is the same type fear tactic BS that Al Gore uses and it pisses me off to see someone who is obviously anti game farming or even farming it appears using this kind of fear mongering!

4. redbluff77

redbluff77 New Member

Utah
    Scientists have now discovered that CWD is a bacteria and the Prions are just a byproduct of the bacteria. They are coming up with a test to see if your deer is infected immediately after your kill. They are working on a vaccine that may eradicate the disease. Within 2 years they will have a cure. This is great!

5. redbluff77

redbluff77 New Member

Utah
    This was from a hunting website, but I can't get the link to work

6. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

thats great alright. approximately 30 years to discover that its a bacteria. its a scam to get more grant money!!

OR
    now all they have to do is capture every deer, elk, antelope, etc... in America and inoculate them against CWD. that will create millions of jobs, jobs that Americans may not want so we can get the illegals to do it.

free citizenship in America, with one live whitetail :)

then after they do that. they can do it again every spring when the fawns are born.

the only thing a vaccine will do is protect the deer farms and possibly us from CWD.

Dont forget, CWD can be found inside plants. plants = crops = food products inside OUR FOOD CHAIN.
    if CWD jumps the barrier, everyone of us is at risk.

Ron B likes this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You seem to not be willing to accept that reducing or eliminating a source of contamination of the food chain on any level is a step in the right direction. I can't begin to agree or disagree with Dr. Bastien, SP? but will say that I believe it is plausible and we should be hopeful. Now if we can get people to start working together more we can maybe get somewhere.

Chippers and msestak like this.
  8. msestak

i agree, we do need to reduce it. but how does a person get the vaccine into the wild herd ?

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That does remain to be solved but that dilemma pales in comparison, as long the vaccine actually exists.

msestak likes this.
  10. msestak

with a vaccine the immediate beneficiaries are the deer farms. it will still spread in the wild.

those game farms and deer breeders need to be closed or double fence so the wild deer cant get near the fenced in ones.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I can't and won't dispute that but it is all a step in the right direction.

msestak likes this.
  12. Ron B

Alabama
    I am sorry but even in good news I can smell a rat.....a money rat! A "kit" to test game for hunters.....I wonder if it will be free!;) Is it even necessary as NO ONE has ever gotten CWD and some research has claimed we cant. If your deer is positive can you walk away and keep shootin till ya get a negative one? Is there even such thing as a "negative" reading as the incubation can be years!
    With that said, there were a butt load of code words in that ( If, may, might, could, feared, possibly, believed, etc) and a lot of exaggerated fear mongering and when you here these code words it means they are not sure what they are talking about and they need your money! Its how it works people..... for good or bad!

13. Ron B

Alabama
    A funny story: I worked at a shop out in Colorado and my boss's uncle was a big elk farmer. They found a dead elk outside his fence and it tested positive for brucellosis. The state came in and told him his herd was infected and spread it to this wild elk and he would have to destroy his herd or double fence it! He told them to fu$k off and said they needed to build a fence to keep their sick elk away from his! (People out west dont put up with shit) Well needless to say neither one built a fence and that was 26 years ago and neither the wild elk nor his all died! Go figure! :rolleyes:

Oh...and not one of his elk tested positive!

msestak likes this.
  14. Here so you can compare. Prions are recently as in the last 15 years been discovered and this is only with improved micrscopes.

DNA: 2 nm (diameter of a single strand)
    protein: 5-50
    nmprion: 10 nm
    ribosome: 25
    nmvirus: 20-100
    nmmitochondria: 1 μm diameter x 2 μm length
    bacteria: 1-5 μm
    human cell: 10-100 μm
    period in 24 pt font: 1 mm

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

It would be great if it were bacteria related. I just want to see the 1.75 million deer in my state treated for it! There ain't enough money or manpower to even begin!

woodswhitetail and msestak like this.
  16. Ron B

Alabama
    According to the study you'd only have to do 10%

17. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Well damn...that sure makes the job easier, LOL!

woodswhitetail and msestak like this.
  18. Ron B

Alabama
    Well I for one have had a change of heart! This CWD thing is really bad and since they are developing an individual test "kit" so hunters can test their own deer on the spot I got to thinking! Since we process over 2000 deer a year here, we may be able to purchase these kits in bulk and sell them to hunters as they come in! Lets say the kit is $25....we get them in bulk for $15, then jack the price to $35. Then "scare the hell out of people" to sell them and ...BOOM!!! We just made an extra 40 grand!! Yep:

"I'm going to have to scare the hell out of you" "Insidious and dire" With out immediate action we are facing depletions, extinctions, crashing economies, and millions of human lives at stake"

Now....you see how all this works?

Hold onto your wallets!!

msestak likes this.
  19. Ron B

Alabama
    90% easier....but I suck at math!

joeym and msestak like this.