1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"fish Taxidermy", Up North Vs Down South????

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by fish stuffer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

I have heard that the northern states have more fishheads and more fish taxidermy going on in general. Also, prices are higher and people pay more. I'm wondering why? I know it sounds like a crazy question but if anybody wants to comment I'm all ears. thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but, just a guess; The reason why the prices are higher is because people will pay more.
    The reason why people will pay more is because the prices are higher.

See how that works? Since the northerner's prices are higher, then most everyone will pay for it. Since southern taxidermists keep low prices, then not many are going to pay higher prices.

rogerswildlife likes this.

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Maybe the cost of living higher up north then the south. Higher taxes higher heating cost. So higher prices are demanded/required. I also think there are more fish and game heads mounted in the south so more volume thats IMO

4. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

Good points. I was thinking more fish mounted up north. I was basing this on other posts I've read.

5. Fallenscale

NY
    You may be right on number of fish. I'm more firm in my thinking of larger numbers of deer heads in the south. But would be nice to know. Could be as simple as shipping cost.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I think someone is trying to make an analogy where there isn't one. Just take a look at Mike Kirkhart's prices and tell me how that theme plays out. Mike is just about as far "south" as you can get. The major real difference is in the type of fish you deal with. The farther north, the more the cold water variety fish kick in. With them, there's one helluva lot of reproduction and repair work than there is for a 10 pound largemouth. Paint schedules are much more intricate on cold water species and to do them CORRECTLY takes a lot more time and talent. Still, top end taxidermists in the south won't mount you a black crappie for $5 an inch or even $10. Panfish usually have a minimum charge and bass will run from $15 to $20+ an inch. If I was going to make an analogy, I'd wonder why all the fish manikins come from the south instead of the north.

Jon S, rogerswildlife and Fallenscale like this.
  7. I’m not getting in the price debate, they never end well for anyone.

But I do know where your at makes one hell of a difference in the intake of fish.
    30 years ago i lived in a area that had one lake. I mounted About 40/50 lg mouth bass a month. I moved to where im at now, where there is THREE major lakes plus the Mississippi river. I may mount 10/20 bass all year.
    Folks fish here they just dont or want mount them.
    My trade off was deer heads, old place was 50/75 deer a year, here 170/200 a year. These numbers werent a slow gradual slide in either direction it was was this way from day one of that move.
    You would think or assume the area with three lakes would produce more work load of fish. The lakes have big bass, so thats not part of the equation.

John C likes this.
  8. Triple J Taxidermy

Triple J Taxidermy Active Member

Same here on bass. I major difference here is the fact that a 10lb bass doesn't seem to be as important anymore due to the fact they're commonly caught here in private ponds. I'll get more kids first fish than any other.

9. The south use to be a fish mecca. But the catch and release and the tournaments have killed 70% or more of the breeder largemouth bass.
    A coupe years ago BASS, owned by local Jerry McGinnis. held a huge spring tournament. This one was held on both Norfork lake and Bull shoals. The surprise was nothing over 6 1/2 lbs being caught. Back in the 1980's I mounted a hell of a lot of 8 to 12 lbs largemouth out of Bull SHoals, Table Rock and Norfok.

The tournaments have harmed the fishery.

About 11 years ago another huge tournament was held. All the fish caught were released int he Jimmy Creek Arm of BUll SHoals. The next week I picked up 33 dead bass, from 3 to 8lbs! I held those in a freezer to get the AGFC to come up and look. They were not interested because of the money these tournaments bring in.

10. Fallenscale

NY
    A body of water can only supports so many fish. If you want to play catch and release turn back the big ones keep a few small ones or take only the biggest lot of agreement can be started on this one. I want no part of it. But one things true only so many fish can be supported in a body of watet

11. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Living in Minnesota, Many of the fish guys will mount, are walleyes, Northern pike, a few bass and panfish. Catching two plus pound Perch in March / April, along with spring Walleyes then doing reproductions of Muskies. Many Taxidermist have stopped the four or five color painting with the air brush and started tipping scales, spending more time making the fish look as if your just pulled it out of the water for basic commercial, which cost more but looking at the difference in the fish. IT PAYS.

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I mount more LMB's from farm ponds than from major reservoir's here. 4 lbs or less, $225. $25 increment for every 2 lbs in weight. The secret to my pricing system is I let THEM tell me what they weigh! I mount a ship load of 6 lb bass that are said to be 8-9 lb bass by the anglers!

woodswhitetail, rigbobby and Jon S like this.
  13. joeym

woodswhitetail and Fallenscale like this.
  14. Monty Python

Monty Python Member

If you are considering raising your price and doing quality work do it already. I used to talk myself out of increasing prices thinking I would price myself out of the market. Then I looked at what I was actually profiting and was upset at myself for putting my all into something for so little. And as a lot of people have found out, if you lose some customers you will gain others. I do fish only and part time, so my extra time is at a premium for me, and have to leave room in my life for the people and things that make it all worth while. I would say it would be a safe bet that you wouldn't have trouble getting more for your work regardless of your location. Good luck to you.

15. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

I wonder about saltwater work north vs south. I would think much more saltwater fish would be done in the south. But is saltwater work enough of a percentage to even matter? I don't know.

16. joeym

52A65A89-DCDA-4FDC-8BBC-8545956BE11F.jpeg
    Mostly LMB, a few crappie and bream, and occasionally one of these lard balls...

woodswhitetail likes this.