1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Deke

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by spurhunter, Feb 20, 2019.

1. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    I'm a bird taxidermist forum lurker here mostly, just a part time wannabee. This is my second build on one of these and am going for a little more detail. This build has been interesting and I am down to the wire trying to get the head colors right. Will post the final when it's finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gray Ghost Safaris and Richard C like this.
  2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Nice, skip the work of the detail carving and painting and throw a skin on the manikin.

3. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Thanks I think.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It was a compliment, you are doing a good job. I like it. I had planned to do the same, carve a foam body and head and throw a skin on it. I already use a stuffer but I used a catalog body and cast the head and used a flexible neck and put the skin over it. Works great but I plan to make more without ordering from supplier.

5. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Gotcha. Was scratching my head a little. May hunt it just to "prove" it but it will likely end up being more of a den queen somewhere. Finished up tonight... unless it looks bad in sunlight and needs tweeking. We are not getting much sun this week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Finally got a sunny day. QA'd then sealed with a couple matte coats and she is done.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Jolene has been working it.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]kr

8. johnb1

johnb1 Well-Known Member

You got skills!

9. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Spur hunter
    Super job

What you use to glue your foam board together

10. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Sorry for the delay. Gorrilla glue. Just enough to wet the area and pressed, it will expand.

11. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Jolene still working it yesterday morning, called this one for a good friend.
    [​IMG]

12. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Great job, and she definitely brought in the boys!!

13. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Been a while but have a new version nearing the point of paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Nice work ! Congrats on the kill also

15. Jean M

Jean M Active Member

Nice job. I like the feather texture you applied.
    Is that modeled in with the tile adhesive in the background?
    I guess that also creates a more durable surface on the foam.

Cool project, glad she worked it for ya!
    Look forward to seeing the new one painted up.

16. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    It is. Sort of spackle it on and shingle it with an old butter knife of all things. Then a wet wide brush to train it a little, set edges. Then clean brush dabbed straight down on a paper towel to separate fibers and pull that across each to simulate feather fibers. Is enough to simulate feathers and break up light so the finished deke doesn't just glare with shine. Paint will make it come to life as you can see. It'll crack some here and there with hard use but all the thin parts have multiple wire runs like rebar glued inside so it won't come apart. I toted one for a 140 mile turkey season a few years ago and it faired very well. These are not cost effective by any means but I like making them once in a blue moon. Killing a turkey over one I created ain't bad either.

Wildthings and 3bears like this.
  17. Axishunter

Axishunter New Member

Very nice work, but it would be a shame if it caught some pellets in the course of a hunt.

18. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Lol. They usually end up as den queens for decoration. Would just mud holes and touch up paint.

Already did that idea on a pinewood derby car. "Dead Last" made it to third place overall.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Tanglewood Taxidermy and joeym like this.
  19. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Pinewood derby is all about maximizing weight and to the limit, correct placement of the weight, and axle lubrication. I was a Scoutmaster for seven years, and saw some serious competition! Your car looks great, and the turkey is awesome! Congratulations!

wrightwaytaxi likes this.
  20. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Thank you. Did a little scout too but that one was from church function and adult open class. Pretty tight competition there, a real hoot.