1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Way To Preserve

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kt taxidermy, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

I’m looking for some answers on preserving a bobcat, fox or coyote hide. How soon after skinning and fleshing should it be salted and for how long before putting it into a pickle? Also best tanning agents for hides of this category? Very new to all this so bare with me please.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

You’re asking for a lot of information, much of which depends on what you’re trying to accomplish with the hides that you are wanting to preserve or tan. After skinning and fleshing, it should be salted and dried ASAP. On the tutorial page, there is a sub-heading with a list of categorized tutorials: here’s the link. https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/81693/. Scroll down to tanning and there are three excellent tutorials with step by step instructions on how to procede with 3 different tanning products. The basic principles are pretty much the same, with certain variables depending on the product being used and the final objective you are trying to achieve.

Kt taxidermy likes this.

3. Kt taxidermy

Kt taxidermy New Member

Thank you very much man. That was very much what I was looking for. I’m very new to this and any pointers I can get is awesome. I still need to take my test and what not. As Maine is the most burden state to get our license for this I’m am struggling getting specements to take the test.