1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Molding/casting Jawsets?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Taxi12, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Taxi12

Taxi12 Member

I’ve been wanting to cast some custom jawsets for some foxes, coyotes, and smaller mammals. I just watched a video of mike noonkester’s seminar at the world show a few years back and while it was helpful with the upper jaw, he didn’t really go into how to cast the tongue, particularly in relation to the lower jaw. I assume the lower jaw and tongue are cast seperately, though I’d like to have a better idea as I get into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bullman

bullman New Member

Following

3. Taxi12

Taxi12 Member

Ttt

4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    if you look at the tutorial on casting / molding artificial duck heads using silicone caulking i am pretty sure the same method can be used for jaw sets. maybe even the bottom jaw with the tongue still attached.

get everything in position the way you want it, and freeze it solid. then use the silicone caulking or some other similar casting material and cast it while it is still frozen.

since these are jaws sets and the top / bottom would be "open" i dont see any problem with making a mold in this manner and then casting it.

i did an open mouth squirrel this way and it worked really good.