1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Newbie Question On Fish Skin Preserve

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Natalie C, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Natalie C

Natalie C New Member

I have been buying fish tan liquid, it works great and i can leave the skins soaking for months with excellent results. However I'm sure as most i would like to make my own. I've read a lot of different combos. I don't want to ruin the skins I have with a bunch of trial and error. Honestly the liquid i buy smells partly like alcohol water mix. Could this just be what i use? Half and half? I've read borax and water only.

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

PM sent...

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Once skinned and fleshed really well I will soak in Dawn, then rinse and then treat in a borax and zinc sulphate solution. You can leave them in that for months.

:)

Kerby...

4. Natalie C

Natalie C New Member

Thank you !

5. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

What Kerby said for preservative but I skin the fish and re-freeze the skins if I'm not going to mount the next day. When I have the forms carved or purchased and going to mount several fish, I thaw the skins and put them in Kerby's solution and leave overnight, rinse the next day and mount. I personally don't like having skins setting around in a solution for an extended period of time. I had a really bad experience several years back using that method.

Natalie C, Kerby Ross and Sotired like this.
  6. Kerby Ross

I don't prefer to leave them in the solution for a long period of time either, but I did one for 70 days just to see.

Kerby...

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do you mind sharing your bad experience either here or PM. I leave skins in a solution such as Kerby posted but I add a deodorizer to it, for extended periods of time, with no issues to date. I trace, measure, skin, flesh and wash and put the skins in the solution in batches. Depending on a pile of reasons it can be up to more than a month before I get to mounting those fish. I do rotate them and stir the solution every day or every other day.

8. Natalie C

Natalie C New Member

What type of deodorant do you use? I have definitely had a problem with the after smell when i have soaked them too long.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Knoblochs deodorizer wash

10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Pro 1. Stuff is amazing. Specially with big greasy salmonoids, lakers and any large or small fish

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

70 days - HA! I've had skins in DA and Water, 50/50 for up to three years - lol! The skins were perfectly fine except they had yellowed a bit. Which doesn't matter of course once mounted. I like the fact that I don't have to take the time to freeze skins if I can't get to it in a week, month or even a year!

I use to use the borax solution, and will say I had no issues. However, I have heard that you can have some incompatibility issues with water based glues with some skins if left in too long in the borax solution. Apparently 70 days is not long enough - lol!

George likes this.
  12. Natalie C

Natalie C New Member

How much zinc sulphate to borax ratio ?

13. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

lol I mounted a walleye that was in that crap (pun intended) for 11 years. It took me days to hydrated it back to be able to mount it. It came out good but I rather the zinc solution Once it turns dark yellow or brown dispose it and just make new

14. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    With the zinc I also use a strong surfactant

15. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    My choice is red phenolic solution borax water
    Have a Brookie that’s been in for 15+ years
    Change out solution once a year do about 100 fish each batch
    Use extreme caution this is bad stuff need proper PPE

16. Safari12

Safari12 Member

I tried the zinc sulphate years ago and it melted the fins. I to would love to know the zinc sulphate mix..

17. Natalie C

Natalie C New Member

So I have the zinc sulfate Monohydrate powder, how much h2o do I add? And do I also mix the borax in with this or use it for rinsing off?
    I am not a chemist nor do I want to play breaking bad and blow up my garage haha, any help would be appreciated sooo very much !

18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use something like a cup of zinc, a couple cups of borax and roughly 10 gallons of water and a cup of deodorizer. I usually just guesstimate for the most part. Mix it up good and you will have to keep flipping the skins around every couple of days as the zinc and borax will settle to the bottom.

19. Kerby Ross

I never had the fins go bad with borax and zinc sulphate, but it happened once when I used borax, zinc sulphate and SALT combo.

Kerby...

20. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Just curious why would you save a fish in a solution for 11 to 15 years ,must not fish much I guess.

stuffit44 likes this.