1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Newbie Question On Fish Skin Preserve

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Natalie C, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I tried the zinc sulphate years ago and it melted the fins. I to would love to know the zinc sulphate mix..

Zinc does not melt fins at all as Ive had them in there for a year or more. They get stiff nad probably useless. Your salt destroyed them.
    Ive seen salted fish get sent to me (not my advice) and seen all the fins and skins destroyed by it.

Kerby Ross likes this.
  2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Like to push the limits

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Borax much better than salt unless your making jerky

4. Safari12

Safari12 Member

5. Frank E. Kotula

1 gallon water
    3 oz zinc sulfate
    1 cup of borax
    capfull of any bactericide

6. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Hey Frank,

I’m hoping you see this. How long does a fish skin (walleye or crappie) need to sit in this solution to be ready to mount?
    Also do you rinse it or anything once it comes out of this and before it goes on the foam?

Thanks!

7. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I like to leave them at least 24 hrs. It's just a personal choice. I have had trouble with certain glues having a bad reaction to the borax though.

Jordan Park likes this.
  8. Frank E. Kotula

20 minutes
    Yes I rinse and mount

Jordan Park likes this.
  9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I've never understood why people leave fish in solutions for months or years at a time. I mix a cup of borax in 5 gallons of water and add an ounce of Lysol to help alleviate the fishy smell. On a fish mounting week, I skin 3 fish, rinse each one well before placing in the solution, and mount the first fish going into the solution after the last fish is skinned. All three will be mounted by mid-morning. On Friday, after mounting the last fish of the week, I discard the solution. Fish eat-up freezer space. As soon as I get 12-15 in a freezer, I mount them up.

Jordan Park likes this.
  10. 15pt

15pt Active Member

Alabama
    I use 50/50 DA and a cup of borax. Always have used the lysol like JoeyM but cant find any these days.

Jordan Park likes this.