1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Loose/missing Black Bear Ear Butt

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by rossco, Feb 24, 2019.

1. I have black bear that the ear butt clay went missing in action on. I am not sure if it fell out during mount up or what. However, it clearly isn't there anymore and I cant take the hide off to replace it. I was thinking of mixing bondo/resin weak, thicker and injecting it or injecting some silicone to harden in there. I would say its about half the clay that went missing. This is obviously a less than idea situation and figured someone has dealt with it. What have some others done?

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Can you get clay down into the ear a little bit at a time. That would be my attempt of replacing what is missing. Injecting silicone might work, but I'd say absolutely no to the bondo idea.

3. I agree on getting the clay through the ear canal a little at the time. May have to open it up a little more. I'm afraid the silicone might ooze back out. If the bondo didn't get shaped right away you'd have a bigger mess than now.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Make a cut behind the ear pack clay in sew up and shape it, you're overthinking it.

5. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

If I couldn't get it through the ear canal as others have posted, then I would do it exactly as 3bears.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even had a second thought. Whip out the scalpel and slice the back of the ear butt skin open and pack it with clay. I have done this so many times when I wasn't completely satisfied with the ear butt outcome.

7. John L

John L Active Member

Got a pic?