1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Feet Drying Tip ...

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GotHonks, Feb 26, 2019.

1. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

Most of the time I remove the feet before I shoot them up with MB , mainly so I can paint them without the hassle of doing them on the bird and having to tape the bird top to bottom , which sometimes , somehow I end up with overspray on the feathers ..... Anyways ... The bad part about this method is waiting on the feet to dry enough to paint , summer takes only a few days , winter or cold weather ...even in my house they take forever ... Been trying to figure out how I can speed things up a bit so ..... Been wanting to try this for a while but didn't want to ruin a pair of feet and still don't but I've got an extra set so I figured what the hey .... My idea was to set the oven on 350 ... Take a cookie sheet and lay some aluminum foil down first .... Then lay the feet on the tray ...(with my clay I use to pose them ) put it in the oven for about 10 min .... I checked on them about every 3 min .... And to my surprise they came out nice and dry .... ready to paint ....
    And maybe its Taboo to do this but I doubt it ...So hopefully it will work out , cleaned them and about to throw some paint on them .... Just like Honker hunting .... Sometimes you gotta think Outside the box to get it done .... Anyways give it a try if you need to speed your feet drying ...

2. ahagenston

ahagenston New Member

I tried something similar this year with a set of canvasback feet. Positioned them and Injected them with MB, cleaned off the excess with acetone and then put them in my food dehydrator overnight (about 7 hours). Cleaned them again after pulling out of dehydrator and they were paint ready.

3. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

Anything to save time is a good thing IMO ...

4. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I like both of the ideas offered. I've been freeze drying them. It also works well.

GotHonks likes this.
  5. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

Freeze Drying might be the best way to go ..... Although not many of us own a freezedryer..... And I'd bet its not cheap to have it done ...
    I'm getting Tired of messing with Masters Blend , hate mixing it and having to hurry and get it done before it kicks ... I've used Formalin before and it works the best IMO just hate how toxic it is , if I start using it again on feet I'm definitely going to use Wingmans plastic bag idea ... keep my shop from stinking so bad ..

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

fin flex thinned with a little water then freeze when you thaw the water drains/ evaporates but the latex will have set

rigbobby likes this.
  7. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Are you injecting the fin flex into the leg, or just applying it to the outside of the leg?