1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Machine For Critters Othan Than Deer?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kn18, Feb 27, 2019.

1. kn18

kn18 New Member

Hello All- I'm new here so please take it easy on me lol. I'm thinking about buying a fleshing machine but I read somewhere that they aren't much good for furbearing animals (raccoons, coyote etc) Is there any truth to this? Are they only really good for deer?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It depends on what you are working on or what part of the critter. The skin on coons can be thick on the shoulders and hips and can be thinned with a fleshing machine. I use a bird flesher for most fur bearers but when tanning some such as beaver, otter and badger I'll break out the fleshing machine to thin areas and use the wheel on the rest.

3. kn18

kn18 New Member

thank you for the info

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I use a fleshing machine for small game, but you have to be very careful. It takes some practice to get used to using less pressure as you run the hide across the wheel so as not to cut through the hide. Get some scrap hides to practice on.

5. kn18

kn18 New Member

cool I'll give it a shot, thank you

6. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

I have a Dakota IV for smaller species with thicker/tougher hides rather than my bigger machine, bird wheel on thinner skins as needed.