1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Repo

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ballright, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Ballright

Ballright New Member

First time doing a repo and using airbrush in 20yrs somethings worked out and some didn't I had fun anyway, don't know if the pic will show up ha I tried,

Attached Files:

Exterminater and msestak like this.
  2. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Very good job!

~S

3. Ballright

Ballright New Member

Thank you I still have to gloss, after I clean the eye haha

Sotired likes this.
  4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Who did you reposess it from?

Sorry could't resist!

5. Ballright

Ballright New Member

Ok anything i should do different before I do my grandsons bass

Attached Files:

6. Ballright

Ballright New Member

I haven't been happy with putting markings up top because they've seemed to look like crap think on most bass can't really see anyway,the belly marking I struggled with also using different things that's what I came up with

7. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

i dunno about these Repo guys, I do Repros in my shop!

Cecil, Sotired and Bill Dishman like this.
  8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yes my point exactly!

Sotired likes this.
  9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

All in all it's fine. But if you want to improve upon what you are doing I would suggest a few things that stand out to me that I think could be improved upon. Ease off on the paint. Your Bluegill has too much on it. You can't even tell if it was antiqued because you have obliterated all those underlying markings with paint. Not enough depth. Lay down some metallics after antiquing and before paint. Maybe even on top in some spots depending on your reference. Lastly, look at your reference. I'm going from memory but your pec and pelvic fins look a weird color to me and no depth. Spray a different color at an angle to hit high spots on your fins to give them more depth. Again, look at your reference photos. JMO BTW!

Sotired likes this.
  10. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

I've found that Candy Paynes Grey, shot at an angle on the fin rays, provides a nice illusion of depth! You might give that a shot on your paired fins! It's an awesome color.

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Gary, you using Lacquers or Polytranspar Candy Paynes Gray? Reason I ask is Hydromist Candies are dyes, very runny and a tad hard to work with because they tend to run. I stopped using them because of this. Get a little too much paint on those fins and now you have to wipe down and start over. You have to go very, very easy with the Hydromist Candies! I've gone to the regular Paynes Gray and thin now instead of the HM Candies...

12. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

Yep, I'm using all lacquer-based paints. Not in the shop right now and can't recall if its Lifetone or Polytranspar. But it's one or the other. Seems to be working well. It's a tip I picked up from Mickey Bowman and Jimmy Lawrence.

FishArt likes this.