1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Liqua Tan, Skipping The Pickle ?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by fish stuffer, Feb 28, 2019.

1. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

Seems like I remember reading with liqua tan you dont have to use acid. You can salt, then oil and mount. Anybody do this? thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have done it and did not like the outcome. Pickling first makes a much better quality skin. It is easier to work with, increases stretch by a lot, looks and smells better (just smells better in general. Smells nicer I guess.), dries quicker and it shrinks less as it dries.

If you want a "no pickle required paint on tan," I would recommend the one Headquarters sells. I think it is PT 500 or something like that. I tried it and it worked well. It needs to be washed in their degreaser before it is mounted, so, just be aware of that. Also you have to shake the hell out of it and stir it, which, I don't really care for, but, it was quick to do and the outcome was that of a limp stretchy skin that was easy to mount and smelled nice with minimal shrinkage while drying.

tcrawfo1, fish stuffer and George like this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

The first use of liqua-tan was to take a raw cape ( never salted if salted you must hydrate) Then you just rub it on. It works but through time they’ve revised it and agreed that pickling the cape produces a higher quality tan.
    Yep many moons ago. One of the first tans I’ve used and still one of the best rub on tans that is chemically stable .