1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

King Tutankamen (tut For Short)

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Joe Kish, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    While recovering from hernia surgery 'bout three decades ago I couldn't do any heavy lifting, etc., so I decided to take a try at wood carving. I was fascinated with Egyptian art and mythology at the time and thought that golden funerary mask they placed over Tut's mummy was an absolutely magnificent piece of work. Without the benefit of a chunk of basswood, I selected a clear piece of wood from my woodpile and here's the result. The vulture and cobra on his head piece I did in All Game. For the eyes I used the heads of small pins. DSC03479.JPG DSC03479.JPG

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Very well done!

3. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Thank you Wild T.

I know this isn't wildlife art, but having met all the challenges in taxidermy that I set for myself, I've been working on my wood working skills with modest success and a ton of satisfaction (I love working with my hands). For years I wanted to make a jewelry box for my oldest daughter, something I thought every daughter could use. Half way through the project it occurred to me that I could incorporate my carving of King Tut in a way that my principle heir would treasure more than a simple wood carving. It's about 23 inches high with 3 secret compartments all with hidden latches. Here it is.

047 (4).JPG 038.JPG

HondaXR250 likes this.
  4. Wildthings

Da-yum that is sweet

5. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Damn Joe, thats sweet.

6. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Thanks for the compliments gentlemen.

I wasn’t going to show this jewelry box, but what the heck? This is a Chinese theme I made for my second daughter who was born in the year of the dragon. I spent 3 months working in Taiwan and got a taste for Chinese art and mythology. The figure inside is Guan Yin, Buddhist goddess of mercy. No secret compartments in this one.

I don’t have a lot of wildlife art, but I’ll show some later just for conversation.

Chinese jewelry box 014.JPG All open.JPG

All open.JPG

7. Wildthings

Very very nice. The fact that the top opens is almost a hidden compartment.

8. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Nice work on all 3 pieces Joe.