1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mammals 3-1-19

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by wa, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

20190316_180407.jpg 20190316_180447.jpg 20190316_180509.jpg

This is a cat my Dad recently just did for himself Dean Schulte.

rogerswildlife, nemo, KFLAH and 4 others like this.
  2. Chippers

Chippers Member

3. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

20190316_223558.jpg
    These are the eyes I used 12mm for male and 11mm for female

Greg Cuvelier just judged them at the utah show and he said the eyes were perfect for fishers

Chippers likes this.
  4. bob watkins

bob watkins Member

great job on the fishers

Swtchmob21 likes this.
  5. Would they work for mink

Swtchmob21 likes this.
  6. Chippers

Chippers Member

It never would've occurred to me to use bird eyes, thanks!

7. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

I feel like they would I mean all these animals have pupils in their eyes a mink eye is really really dark but they sell the same type of eye In Black I think and it still has a pupil that one that I used for the fishes might be too light

8. Yes I've been looking at bird eyes ,they look good for smaller critters.

9. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

Mink Marten Fisher all have horizontal pupils along with other Mustelids

10. HUYE

HUYE Member

YUP

11. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

Look I'm not going to claim to be some expert these are the first two Fisher I've ever done

I competed with them in the Masters division at the Utah show. The judge literally told me that those eyes were perfect with the round pupil ( greg cuvelier )

So please inform us all of what is the correct eye to use because I'd rather do it right than not do it right.

12. wa

AB906-AB912 from WASCO Sq eyes
    I love your Fishers they are beautiful and have a very emotional feel to them!
    your eyes are fine.. your work is inspiring.
    In no way was what I said at you ever! they were talking about eyes and I offered a suggestion

Glenn M likes this.
  13. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

Again wa I'm sorry if it came off like I was super pissed or something that wasn't what I was trying to do it was just kind of like you made a statement a comment then it was like mic drop and then you left the room lol I'm on here I want to learn

I primarily do big game and I honestly just want to make sure that I'm doing things correctly yes I had a judge tell me that those eyes were the right pupil but if I ever want to go compete at a higher level than a state show I don't want to be looking like an idiot and saying well this guy told me this was right when it's not I appreciate you showing me which ones to use. I just want to get better I appreciate you liking my piece I've always admired everything that you done
    You're an amazing taxidermist.

like I said I'm not trying to be on here acting like I'm some expert with these animals I just figured I'd post them and someone asked me a question and I answered honestly with what I used that was it

Glenn M and Wildthings like this.
  14. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    A while back i was looking into the eyes of fishers because i have a big male to mount. I came up with them having slit horizontal pupils. I found a couple images that shown the pupils if you look closely.......
    https://www.google.com/search?q=fis...5#imgdii=uiQy7vDr-YCAoM:&imgrc=5pOgKrNrIibW9M:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fis...5#imgdii=sPrLw5bXP9LTPM:&imgrc=5pOgKrNrIibW9M:

I found some eyes that say the are competition for otter, mink, weasel, etc. But after reading, they say they have a round pupil......
    https://www.mckenziesp.com/Mammal-Eyes-Acrylic-C3838.aspx

Those WASCO eyes have a round pupil as well. So those arent really accurate either.

Only thing i could think of was getting gray fox eyes (even though they are a little large), and turning them sideways.....
    https://www.second2nature.com/pc_product_detail.asp?p_key=9E2C2152DFA5422A9E0D25CB9710DE79

I dont believe fishers have canines sticking out while at rest either. In no way am i downing your mounts, the fishers look amazing! And i hope mine looks as good. Im just trying to be correct. And after searching and searching, it has been really bothering me as to what eyes i should use on my fisher. I mean i could get away with plain black, or brown eyes with round pupil. Ill pretty much be the only person looking at it. But at the same time if i know its not right, it will always bother me. Another option is having custom eyes made.

I was thinking about the judge talking to you about the eyes. Maybe that judge knows what a taxidermy fisher looks like, and not a live fisher?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  15. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

I like those eyes from Mackenzie it's funny to me cuz I've looked in that catalog more times than I can count looking for small mammal eyes and I've never seen those before

oh yeah those canines are sticking a little too far out I've looked at a lot of pictures of fishers and at times they do stick out but this was kind of a result of everything looked good on the forms before the skin went on and after the skin went on it was like yeah those are too far out

The judge Greg Cuvelier is a pretty well-established small game taxidermist he's won some national titles with some raccoons and everything I really think honestly at the end of the day with the whole eye situation you can go either way I competed with pine Martens before and again I've never had a judge say anything about my pupil so if you're having to go and use possibly a gray fox eye instead of just a round pupil eye I'm afraid you might get ding 4 using the fox eye LOL I don't know anymore I definitely appreciate you guys giving me all this advice like I said I'd rather be doing it right or as close to right as I possibly can

In those pics you ref to you can definitely see they have a horizontal pupil I think that most judges are not going to get that.

Fisher Cats and pine Martens and Wolverines I really don't think are being done a whole lot on like a commercial level at least nothing like a raccoon or a coyote at least not out west here I mean when I brought these Fisher to the Utah show I had multiple people asking me what they were lol that's how few and far between you see or get them

16. wa

fisher32.jpg
    The eyes that WASCO sell are perfect the pupil is not round they are horizontal
    (turn it) they are squirrel eyes. A lot of rodents have vertical pupil like porcupines
    so when doing a Fisher/Porcupine mount same eyes different directions
    Fisher are notoriously hard to get good reference most are tame or zoo pics even some that you see outside are tame.
    If they are not biting though the skulls of Lynx, Porcupines, and Squirrels all day and
    wearing their teeth down they (may) show more in the zoo/tame pics but not show on wild ones as often

17. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Yeah those eyes do look nice. I usually order everything i can from second2nature. But go to mckenzie and vandykes for certain things.

The canines look fine. I actually seen a pic of one earlier that did have them poking out a little.

There are plenty of taxidermists out there that dont know squat about live animals. Not saying he is one of them at all, but might be a possibility. Alot of taxidermists look at the supply company they fancy most and say well this is what it says to use. I try to make certain its what it should be first. Im just picky. And ill never have to worry about judges! I do taxidermy as a hobby, and keep everything i mount. And i have zero interest in competitions lol. Im just trying to help out. And at the same time figure it out for myself. Its bothered me for a while on how im going to do the fishers eyes. Technically i can use crocodile eyes if i wanted lol, since its just for me. But im picky, so...

Mustelids are my absolute favorite. I cant think of any critter thats as amazing looking as a wolverine, marten, fisher, otter.

Tell them judges if they dont know what eye it should have they shouldnt be judging! Maybe you can judge them!;)

18. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    I just looked again and seen the pupil is oval. Thats pretty close. Not quite slit, but close enough. The fisher is truly an amazing creature. Thanks for all your input!

19. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

20190322_131616.jpg 20190322_131605.jpg 20190322_131722.jpg I just completed these two, I am pretty happy with them, but let me know what you are thinking.

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

running_cat.jpg

John67, Bob, Trapper2016 and 4 others like this.