1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mixing Sodium Carbonate W 40 Volume Peroxide

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by endeavor, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Will making a paste by mixing these two help aid in whitening, rather then just using paper towels saturated with peroxide placed on the skull?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yep. Mix away.

Paste it up and wrap it with plastic wrap to hold the paste in place and keep it from drying out too fast. Get the skull into a warm area like under a heat lamp. Not close enough to melt the plastic or burn anything. Rotate the skull to heat it evenly all over. The heat will accelerate the peroxide and you will get the whitest white you can that way. Pasting will whiten the outside bone but will not get to the skulls interior like submerging it will.

If your skull is submerged in peroxide, only the very top of it should have the towels on it to wick it up and over the top and under the burrs. Only to keep the burrs from getting into the peroxide and getting whitened.

Wildthings and endeavor like this.

3. Thank you again Sea Wolf! I am pretty pleased with the degreasing I did, the skull is leaps and bounds cleaner, I see little to no dark areas after about 4 weeks in ammonia, dish soap soak. Gonna move forward with the whitening process..