1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice On Work Table Coating

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Show & Tell, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Show & Tell

Show & Tell New Member

My husband is helping me build a TAXIDERMY shop. He has built my tables and we are trying to figure out what to coat the wood with. It needs to be coated so I can clean it and to keep blood from soaking in. Does anyone have any suggestions? PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

2. A couple of coats of flex seal.
    Liqiuds beads up on top and want go through.
    Gets scratched up, just spray a new coat.
    I’m very abusive with mine, knives, sawsall, antlers, and it holds up good.
    Skinned over 180 deer heads on mine this past season, and still doesn’t need a new coat on it.

blood continuing soaking into wood dont smell good!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019

3. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    two part epoxy coating like they use in bars and restaurants.

4. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

What msestak said. That stuff won't wear off. Make sure your table tops are level, pour it on and it will self level. Use a torch to get rid of bubbles in the finish. Need to do this at room temp 70 degrees +

msestak likes this.
  5. Show & Tell

Show & Tell New Member

No blood soaking into woo

6. Show & Tell

Show & Tell New Member

Yes blood soaking into wood would be BAD LOL. That is one thing I do not want.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Laminate for counter tops, blood doesn't soak it, pretty resistant to cuts, can use thinner to clean up any spilled paint or adhesive, without worry.

John C, msestak and FishArt like this.
  8. Show & Tell

Show & Tell New Member

5 min epoxy comes in pretty small bottles. I use it on deer ears. But at the same time I do know that the hides are not affected buy the chemicals in it. That is my main worry about causing hair to slip ect being on the dry finished product later in time.

9. Show & Tell

Show & Tell New Member

Hmm I will need to check lowes thanks.

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome, try any of stuff on any of the apoxie coatings and you may be disappointed.

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

What 3Bears said + Check garage sales and Craigslist. Oftentimes you can get an old kitchen counter top and even the cabinets below sometimes for a song or even free. Corian would also be a good countertop besides the laminate. If laminate, the older the better as that stuff never came off back then! And obviously, no textures.

12. 983420D6-E3BE-4473-998E-E336E0238914.jpeg Guys , why spend lots of dollars on something you’re going to be cutting on with knives, saws-all, beating on with a hammer, slaming antlers on, cutting wood ( skillsaw, jigsaw etc)
    Knowing your going to get into that top. No matter how careful you are, its happens.
    Any of that happens to mine , spray it with flex, its repaired and back to work on it in a few hours.
    The stuff is very durable , it dont come off very easy. Hit an expoy table wirh a hammer you got a gouge or missing spot. Flex nope still good.
    Cut expoy you got a cut in it , cut flex its seals it self back up.
    Get into either one with a saw , there both screwed lol.
    That one, isn’t pretty, in fact its dirty as &uck, but its two years old and still hasn’t been resprayed yet.
    $11.00 bucks in that table top!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    msestak likes this.
  13. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Buckfever I got two 8' sections of Corian for free from the curb as my neighbor was tossing them after a kitchen remodel. And I got my 1970's laminated 5' fleshing table with a pair of double cabinets underneath also for free at a garage sale. After 22 years you can see the knife scratch marks, but no dents or anything coming off on either! Man, they made laminate good back then. Zero maintenance or having to re- spray something every couple of years on either type of counter top. Easy to clean because I don't get the deep cuts from knives like you do on the softer wood. Your knives probably don;t have to be re-sharped though. Although, I think you've probably got some bacteria in those cuts. You have to. Otherwise you wouldn't need to re-spray. Maybe not an issue for you though, but smells? Usually you can get old countertops for only the cost of going and getting the items if you look around a little. In fact many items in my shop were picked up at garage sales. For beating with a hammer, I use my work benches. I think your idea is good for maybe somebody that wants to combine all their work stations into one though. I would have never thought of spraying Flex Seal.

P.S. My 2 pieces of Corian sit on top of two Menards 6' wood work benches. They were $50 each on sale years ago. I think they're $60 nowadays.

14. Fish art, you had me at free, lol.
    You sound like me, dont pass up somebodys good junk , you can put to good use.!!!!!

I was mainly talking about spending $$ on epoxies to poor on. Just makes no sence to me. When its probably gonna get mucked up.

As far as my table (smells) NO. , they get cleaned as soon as we’re done , when messing with bloody critters. My fish are done on Formica next to the sink.

I guess over the years there isn’t much I haven’t tried using for tops. Early years was just painted plywood.
    Once a friend give me a 4x4 sheet of airplane metal ( of sime type) I used it on a table top. Dam thing lasted over 15 years. Was the best top i ever had. Couldn’t cut into it, chip it, blood couldn’t soak into it. The wood frame it was built on, time and abuse finally got it.

To each their own, what ever works for you, do it!

FishArt likes this.
  15. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    i didnt think of the discounted counter tops at lowes and home depot. they have stuff a customer brought back that was cut wrong or just didnt want. sometimes you can get that stuff for pennies on the dollar.

FishArt likes this.
  16. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Member

Ohio
    Flex seal is definitely a great idea. I use it for lots of stuff. I even painted the hood of my truck with it, still looks fine.

FishArt likes this.
  17. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Lot of good ideas here. I used a laminate that I got at Lowes for a quarter the price because it was chipped on one corner for my fleshing machine top. Super easy clean up.

I use carpet runners covers. Not sure of the official name but they are the clear covers people put in high traffic areas and on steps over their carpets to protect them. I have had the same cover on my bench for almost twenty years. Just make sure you get the smooth kind that can be cleaned easily and not the textured ones.

FishArt and msestak like this.
  18. spurhunter

spurhunter Member

SC
    Why don't you just use regular polyurethane and a couple good coats?

19. Show & Tell

Show & Tell New Member

I am SO happy I am getting responses. 1st thing .. polyurethane is what I was thinking but unsure. 2nd I already have a table built with I think it's call knee brace legs. Plan on using old counter and cabinet later when we I add on to the building. I like the flexseal idea too buckfever* BUT do they have it in a lighter color. You know a girl's got to keep her eyes out for ticks LOL though I would much rather have a clear coat show the wood stain.

FishArt likes this.
  20. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Member

Ohio
    Polyurethane will be soft. Your table will be full of cuts and gashes. And it will cost more to reapply. The flex seal dries harder, especially the black. And it will be cheaper and quicker/easier to reapply. You can also get it in white or clear. IMO the black sprays out and coats the best.

FishArt likes this.