1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Quastions On Dakota Pro Vs S&s Fleshing Machine

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JBATT, Mar 7, 2019.

1. JBATT

JBATT New Member

I’m new to taxidermy work and was wondering if one is better than the other. I was told if I buy one to get a good one because I would have it the rest of my life. I’m mainly getting in to it as a hobby and not a Job I even was looking at the Dakot V. I don’t want to send stuff out to be done I want to do it from start to finish and be in complete control of the project tell it’s finished. There are things about both I like and would like to hear from people that have them to make a final decision on what one to go with. I still don’t know this web page good enough to know how to look in the archives because I’m sure this has been brought up before.

Any input would be appreciated Thanks

2. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    JBATT. I am a hobbyist as well and unfortunately I don't have a ton of experience with the fleshers you mentioned. There are a lot of members/shaving experts here that should be able to answer your question. In the meantime, look at the top banner. Four places to the right of the Forums tab is the Search function. A lot of cool features that allow you to search by titles, members, dates, forums, etc. It has been an invaluable tool to me and has allowed me to learn from all these great taxidermists, past and present. It is truly a treasure trove. Best of luck.

pir^2h and JBATT like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I got one, I had to make the same decision. I chose the Dakota Pro for reasons I don't recall. I think it was down to the pulley and belt being inclosed on the Dakota Pro, where, I believe at the time the S&S had an exposed pulley belt. This may not have been the case, but, that's how I think it went.
    I believe that you would be happy with either.

JBATT likes this.
  4. JBATT

JBATT New Member

I’m at a show right now and they have a s-900 I can pick up for 860.00 original price is 1050.00 but has no belt cover and the Motor isn’t attached to the unit. Doesn’t look like a bad machine but I don’t know nothing about them. Hub needs to be shimmed so it doesn’t walk on the arbor, Guards look good but don’t really like how it’s only one bolt holding them on. Tried to talk to some people about them but seems like a lot of them send there stuff out from what they said. Wish I could find someone that has played around on both of them kinda hard pick something when you can’t see them.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The S&S machine is a quality machine. Thankfully, an old Rawhide lasted me about 30 years and is still going strong in another shop. I thought the original S&S was overpriced, though I've heard that their prices have come more into line. I was a great deal involved in machines when the Dakota Pro came out. From what I needed in a machine, it was absolutely the best bang for the buck and it included all the features any taxidermist might want.
    One thing I always caution beginners is that they invest as if they intend on doing this a lifetime. You could buy one of those POS hand held tools but it will either shatter your ideals or you'll try to find someone else gullible enough to buy it from you. When you get into the lower lines of round knives, there are some absolutely pitiful pieces of crap out there that had to be invented for the Inquisition. One "table model" I saw during this period was a round blade with a shallow cowling mounted directly to an electric motor. I was scared to turn that thing on. The bottom end Dakota's are not quite that bad, but if and when you decide to quit, most people are going to be unwilling to pay shipping and handling on getting yours. Any mechanic will tell you that there's a reason good tools cost more. Taxidermists would be wise to realize that fact.

cyclone, Jackson1814, D.Price and 3 others like this.
  6. JBATT

JBATT New Member

I will hold off and order a good one on Monday I already have the money to do it just wanted to make sure befor I pulled the trigger. Thanks for all of the help.

7. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

I use the pro i love it easy to clean and maintain no regrets

8. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Rember the Jim Edgar fleshers

George likes this.
  9. JBATT

JBATT New Member

Are the Dakota pros main base for the unite made out of stainless steel or is it just the hub for the blade?

10. JBATT

JBATT New Member

So I still haven’t orderd one yet and it seems like the Dakota pro is stainless and aluminum and the S&S is steel for main base with powder coat with some aluminum and stainless steel from what they told me. Can any body chime in on this as to what one will not have savings get hung up in it or what one will have fewer. And do all machines have that problem?

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have never had to stop and clear shavings from my Dakota Pro.

JBATT likes this.
  12. George

Tanglewood, how many boars have you done? Over the years I've used a lot of machines; Reliable, Quebec, Dakota, and Raw Hide. I never had many belt eating shavings until I got to damned boars. If you're going to get one, it will be there.

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

The amount of boars I have done with it is a grand total of zero. I did a few before the Dakota was purchased and thankfully received none after.

14. JBATT

JBATT New Member

Ordered the S&S machine should be here on Monday, then only time will tell on the decision I made hpofully for the good.

Tanglewood Taxidermy and George like this.
  15. George

No need to fret. It should last you well. Good investment.