1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Air Compressor Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by TripleC, Mar 8, 2019.

1. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    When I first got start, I jumped the gun and bought a small air compressor that I found on sale. Alas, at the time I had not done enough research and to my dismay the pump is a constant pressure pump and doesn't allow for PSI adjustment. I think the manual states 40-45 psi. Now looking through the archives at the PSI ranges that George and others have posted through the years, I am looking to "upgrade" to another compressor. I am looking at a couple from Harbor Freight (1/5 and a1/6 HP) with a max PSI of 58 but a constant pressure listing of 0-40 PSI and a 0.5 CFM at 20 PSI. I have found some at different stores that have a far greater PSI range, but I don't know if I need to spend the extra money for that range for what I will be doing. My question is, does this PSI range on the compressors listed above severely limit future areas of taxidermy finish work (big game/fresh-water fish)? Looking through the archives, I know a few have posted using around 30 psi and 10-15 for fine detail and a few list in the 50s, but I don't have a lot of experience to know what I would need for a max higher psi range. I don't mind buying elsewhere/better product, but I also don't want to spend frivolously as I am only doing this as a personal hobby while I am still in the military. Any sage advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Buy big enough to use an air nailer, with adjustable pressure and you will have what you need for taxidermy.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    3 Bears. Thanks for the reply. Now that you said that, I do have a 6 gallon compressor that I use for finish carpentry work. Hadn't considered using it since it is loud as all get out. But if I did, I think I would only need to add an inline water filter to it and a reduction hose to fit the smaller airbrush. I was looking for a smaller, more quite model. Would the one described in my previous post fill most of my needs for big game finish work and fresh water fish?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes as long as it will keep the air pressure at the gun say at 50 psi or below. I pretty much never spray above 40 psi out of my airbrush and often drop down to 10 to 15 psi for detail work. The key to that is to use retarder and thinner for lower pressure.
    PS Thank you for your serving our great nation.

TripleC likes this.
  5. TripleC

TripleC Member

Georgia
    3 Bears. Thanks again for imparting some of your wisdom my way. Your recommendations and your sentiments are greatly appreciated. Now if I can just finish this honey-do list, I can get started on another mount.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I think Harbor Freight has a roll-around with a 20 gallon tank that will reach 125 PSI. PERSONALLY, as a tinkerer, mechanic, and taxidermist, I like the flexibility on these compact units. With a regulator and filter, you can adjust the PSI down to airbrush range, or you can reinflate the tires on your car. I like the gun attachments set at the max to clean the shop floor out the door as well as backbrush a grizzly bear or air dry a mountain goat hide.

TripleC and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.