1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help With Measurements On A Cape Split All The Way Down The Back.....

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by John L, Mar 8, 2019.

1. John L

John L Active Member

Rare that I get capes split all the way but I am thinking this is probably good on a mckenzie 23" B measurement suggestions are welcome please. Measurements on photos and marked by tools and paintbrush. I will prpbably use a mckenzie 6500
    cut down back.jpg cut down back2.jpg

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If it is a dry tan a 23” form should work fine as when you rehydrate it will stretch out some. If it is a wet tan and that’s all the stretch you can get out of it, I would go with no larger than a 22” form.

3. John L

John L Active Member

It's wet tanned but I didn't know if once I sew it up if the skin would pull forward more and fit a bigger form I guess I'm over thinking it.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If it has any stretch at all you could go with 23” just be sure and pull up toward the head when you tighten your stiches to avoid pulling the cape too far down the neck. George and others recommend sewing most of it together before mounting turning it into a shrot y cut. I’ve just learned it is better to have it a little loose than try to force a fit.

John L likes this.