1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Head Damage

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by logan1.smith, Mar 9, 2019.

1. logan1.smith

logan1.smith New Member

Hey Everyone, just wanted to thank everyone on this site. I have learned so much. I have done a handful of ducks but the one thing that gives me problems every now and then is head damage. What is the best way to go about fixing a shot up head? Do y'all sew the holes up in the skin just like any other hole?

Thanks in advance!

2. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

I'm sure that you'll get a few different ideas on holes in your bird skin . For myself , it depends where the hole is , how big and how much trouble is it to fix .... In the head , unless it's a big hole I don't mess with them , just be careful shooting calking in the area its at ... I don't fix holes often , but I like to make a patch instead, superglue it down ... Small holes don't matter IMO .... But as I said everyone has there idea on this subject ....

rogerswildlife and logan1.smith like this.

3. logan1.smith

logan1.smith New Member

Okay thanks! I will give the patch a try!

4. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

Patch material . . . old dryer sheets and super glue

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Patch material . . . latex or nitrile gloves and super glue

6. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Active Member

NW Ohio
    Cant say I've ever used a patch method, suppose I may give it a shot. I've stitched a few up but hate doing it but also hate not adding a touch of caulk or having caulk come out

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Watch this Brian Hendricks video on patching a fox skin. Exactly the same but be a little gentler. Used dryer sheets and or gloves. Manipulate the skin until the hole closes up before patching... Fox Patching <<---- click this or watch below

rogerswildlife likes this.