1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turning Rabbit Ears?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Greenhead, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Greenhead

Greenhead New Member

Not sure if you are supposed to turn ears on a jack rabbit. Their ears are very delicate & thin so I would think it would be difficult. Any info about it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I turn them like I would a deer, coyote, elk, squirrel or any critter with ears.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

On these guys, I try with extreme caution. If they begin to tear, I resort back to how I treat cottontails. I've never been so brave. I turn the butts and remove all the meat but prefer to card them much like I would a fish fin.

4. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

u can take the cartilage out , just be careful , make a pattern off ear after u mold it , put the ear in cold water and it should stiffen up, fill it with bondo and u have a mold

5. Use a large artist paint brush, gently work the handle in to the ear. If you get in a hurry you will rip it. Down size when you get to the edge. Mist with denatured alcohol, this has a cooling effect and will cool the heat from your fingers.

6. ive turned them on a swamp rabbit.
    I used a syringe with water.

Robert Wise likes this.