1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wiring Standing Duck

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Nick1176, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Nick1176

Nick1176 Member

Could be a dumb question but here goes. I understand you run a smaller gauge wire through the leg bone and into the middle toe to manipulate the foot. That I saw for a flying mount. What about standing? Do you run one wire to the toe and bigger wire through the heel to the base your using? Will two wires fit inside the leg bone? Thanks in advance.

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

On your attachment foot you need as big of a wire as you can get in there. If both feet are attached you can use slightly smaller wire. On most standing ducks I use #12 if it's on one foot and 2 # 14 if both feet are down. Sharpen your wire on a grinder and then rub it on a bar of soap. Run the wire down the leg and out the heel or the middle of the center toe...dep depends pose.

Jeff70 likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I run the wire inside the skin along the outside of the bone for everything except turkeys. With turkeys I don't use the drum stick bone. I run the wire right into the center of the bone and out the toe.

Do you have any DVDs and/or books on the subject?

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

You do understand you are not actually running the wire through the bone but between the bone and the skin?