1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrating

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Tom Mayer, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

I have some old salted skins. Fox, Coyote, and Bobcat. I'm having trouble rehydrating them. I put two fox in two different buckets. For gallons of water and four pounds of salt each. They wont soak up the water after two days. Can anyone give me some advice?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off all that salt is only slowing down the hydration process.
    Salted capes look for moisture. So when you add salt to moisture now your salted capes that want water can’t absorb it cause it’s in more salt.
    Plain water will hydrate those capes.
    Now there are many additives that you can add to your water like enzol-b, super solvent, and others that you’ll find in those who just sells mainly tanning chemicals, pro1, tru-bond , Reihearts carries Rittles products ( some of the best) etc.
    Personally you can just try plain water now or , drain them good, freeze them till you order any of these aids for hydration.

3. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

Thank you.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

While it is OK to add salt to a re-hydration soak, 1lb. per gallon is way too much.. No more than 1/4 cup in 4 gallons..