1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

4" Long Log Perch

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by IAtaxi, Mar 13, 2019.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Got a fellow who left a message on my machine about a 4" log perch wanting it mounted. I guess its a state record. I'm kinda cringing at the thought of taking it on being so small. I think the smallest fish I've mounted was a 7" creek chub. What would you guys do?

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I about layed an egg when I first MISread the title of your post as "4' long perch." "Swissfish" is a master of tiny fish. He can give you great advice. Good luck.

Swissfish likes this.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I would talk your client into a custom replica or at the very least make a quick mold of it just in case things go south on the original skin. Or better yet, recommend somebody who is comfortable doing it if you're not. It's simply not worth the potential bad publicity if you do ruin his fish. Swissfish is indeed the expert. But, explaining how to do something by Michaelangelo does not make the person on the other end a Michaelangelo. If you can do crappies consistently without losing a scale. And you did that 7" Chub and it looked fine then I think you'd be alright. They have to be incredibly thin skinned? With questions like this one never really knows for sure how to answer because only you know where your abilities are at. Again, that Creek Chub couldn't have been easy. Would love to see a pic of that as that may help with our opinions on this perch...

Swissfish likes this.
  4. hambone

hambone Member

I did one for a gag gift for a guy, actually it wasn't that hard the skin on a perch is tough and I did a half cast and put a u shaped wire in it to dry for attaching to panel I can't remember what I used for eyes. I'm assuming that's a joke about being a state record and it's a gag joke also.

i

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    FishArt likes this.
  5. Could it be freeze dried.

FishArt likes this.
  6. FishArt

I would bet Hambone is right AND I'll bet once this potential customer hears your minimum charge vs what he thinks he's going to pay for a 4" fish, you'll never hear from him again...

Swissfish likes this.
  7. Swissfish

Swissfish Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments Perca and FishArt!
    It's so true what you are stating here FishArt. Knowledge, experience and skills which have been trained with hard work and were built up over decades can't be so easily transmitted to others with a short tutorial or a little video. A sophism which is spread and popular in and with the new social medias, and obviously many indeed believe it.....

FishArt likes this.
  8. FishArt

You have incredible talent Swissfish! Myself, I have always been trying to get to DougP's level but I think I set my goal too high - ha! I doubt I'd take on something like this with a customer's fish simply because I'm not sure if I'd do the little guy justice. And I'm not afraid of turning a job down and recommending somebody else.

Swissfish and Sotired like this.
  9. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

DCCEEE8A-949B-47C0-97F3-C28513877709.png

10. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Not a joke. I think I’m going to turn it down. The unfortunate part is the guy asking is the owner of the bait shop where I display my fish work. That’s just to small of a job for me to be comfortable with.

FishArt likes this.
  11. FishArt

I think sometimes we, as taxidermists are like Hollywood actors in that we think we need to quote every job!

I am sure you can think of others to recommend, but I would recommend DougP as I'd trust him to do just about any species. He may turn it down too though - lol! There's gotta be money in it to do. I think if you did a 7" Chub well that you would be fine with this job. But, when this guy gets hit with a $325 minimum for an original skin or whatever I still have a feeling he's going to change his mind. Have you mentioned numbers to him? I think being the bait shop owner though I do think you made the right decision. Have you mentioned molding this instead? That's what I would be pushing and you can probably do it for less than your original skin minimum price. And you could mold it in something like alginate with no damage to his fish. Re-freeze his fish right after, nothing lost if he wants to take it elsewhere. However, I think most people are hung up on skin mounts being "their fish". This would be the best solution I think to replicate an exact copy of their fish. JMO...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    JL and Sotired like this.