1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wiper Advice

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Gary B., Mar 16, 2019.

1. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

I have been doing fish taxidermy for over 45 years and I have never mounted a wiper or silver bass hybrid. Well I now may have one to do as a skin mount- Is there anything different about them that I should be aware of or take precautions about. How tender are the scales, how much oil in the skin - what can you tell me to make things go correct or do you just do them as replicas. I will appreciate any help- thanks Gary B.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

They do loose scales more easily than other species although not as bad as crappies.

If you come across areas on the skin that are tough to scrape use a fresh scalpel blade to reduce stress on the skin.

For a large wiper or striped bass I would use a cast head. And yes soak in a degreasing solution. I soak the skinned scraped skin in a mineral spirits overnight. Then soak in sudzy cold water made from Dawn detergent for about 20 minutes and rinse well after that. Next I soak in a borax solution. Freeze the skin if not mounting within 24 hours.

This is by no means the only way. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Sotired, rogerswildlife and FishArt like this.

3. Cecil is point on!! I seem to have one a month. I have noticed, like some other species, they seem to hold water in the scale pocket so you may have to tend it a little till it dries.

Cecil likes this.