1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning.. In An Apartment

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Waylandor, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Waylandor

Waylandor New Member

So I really want to try my hand at taxidermy but can afford the current $350 price of a tanned fox pelt in Aus, so I'm wanting to try my own tanning but I live in apartment and have no idea if I could do it here I have no idea where to start or what tan is best , I have some rabbits skinned and ready to go and hoping to get them out of the way as fox season is starting so my best chance to get them from local farmers
    Thinking this is my best bet: http://australiantaxidermysupplies....3/CatID/27/ptk55pizzarishometanningkit55litre

2. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

I have used Mckenzie ultimate Acid and Mckenzie brush on tan, ever since I started Taxidermy and it is amazing! It has great stretch to it and is extremely cheap. they have instructional videos on how to use them. I don't know about the apartment deal tho.

3. Waylandor

Waylandor New Member

Thanks I'll check that out my main concern is ventilation are the chemicals bad enough to need alot of air? There is 2 roof top gardens I'm allowed to work in as long as I don't leave anything up there overnight

4. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

I have had no problem with them, if you put a cover on your container it should be fine.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

DO NOT USE KROWTAN IN AN APARTMENT!

I say this because it has such a caustic smell. Since you are planning on using the tanning kit from your supply company, you should be fine.

I had to say that about Krowtan because at some point in a tanning thread, someone will come on and promise you that Krowtan is your solution. I used it in the kitchen of my apartment and as I was pouring some in measuring cup I dropped it and it splashed all over the cabinets. I could never get the spots out of cabinets. It stunk like that nasty stuff for months.

6. Waylandor

Waylandor New Member

Thanks for the heads up might get some plastic sheets to put down now just incase I mess up ( thank go my bathroom is a wet room but still don't want to stain cupboard In a rental)