1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Storage Of Dry Tanned Skins

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by aussiesam, Mar 18, 2019.

1. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

From what I've learnt over the years on Taxinet is that for hides/capes to be mounted at a later date, the short term storage, like up to 1 year, in the cupboard 'may' be ok but for long term storage, (5ys +), the freezer is the best & safest option to stop oxidization and deterioration of the capes/hides.

What advice would you give clients?

I prefer to re hydrate and freeze as soon as possible.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    I have tanned hides of fox coon otter bobcat that are dryer tanned bug proofed that are 30 plus years old. Still in fine condition only thing I have done is keep them out of direct sun light the best I can. In fact I'm thinking of making a hat out of one the reason it was tanned in the first place.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The advice I would give my clients, ausiesam, is the same as yours. Rehydrate and freeze.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Indeed agreed with Tanglewood hydrate and freeze if you don’t want to hydrate then just freeze them. They’ll last forever that way.
    As you probably know leaving any tanned cape out over a year or more may and will loose elasticity and essential oils. Certain tans may even fall apart.

5. aussiesam

Yes, but fallen, your not going to mount them.

Thanks for the input Frank & Tangle.
    I'd really like to know how to get a current client to take my advice, over his previous taxidermist and hoping its not too late to salvage some of the animals, some of which we cant import anymore :/

Fallenscale likes this.
  6. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Aussiesam

Yes I misunderstood question the use of clients is what did it. Sorry forgive my ignorance

aussiesam likes this.
  7. aussiesam

All
    All good mate, no biggie

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If possible freeze them. I have a friend who lost an entire pallet of tanned African skins due to bug damage. Skins absorb humidity, and a little dampness is all it took for the moths to go into hyper mode. It was a very costly problem for him.