1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Advice Please

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jessa, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Jessa

Jessa New Member

I got a deer in October, I'm not a hunter, my Buick did all the work. I do like venison so I kept the deer. The hide was kept as well, I thought it would be a good homeschool project for my 2 6th graders. The person who was helping me, is no longer helping, so I'm on my own and at a loss. We fleshed the hide as well as we could, we salted it generously, it has been in our unheated storage garage frozen for our Wisconsin winter. Now it is thawing and time for the next step, but there are so many options... We don't mind if it takes a couple days, it's a project and keepsake for the kids so it doesn't have to be perfect, I just want the kids to be able to do it with me. Any suggestions on what to do next, or best products?

2. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

I have used Mckenzie ultimate Acid and Mckenzie brush on tan, ever since I started Taxidermy and it is amazing! It is super easy to use, It has great stretch to it and is extremely cheap. they have instructional videos on how to use them.
    www.vandykestaxidermy.com

3. Jessa

Jessa New Member

Excellent! Thank you!

4. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

yup!

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Look into tanning suppliers or our web sites for tanning kits.
    Your better off with those for beginners.
    Make sure the kids are wearing gloves and eye wear at all times for safty reasons.