1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carcass Preparation

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by MEERSMOUNTAINMAN, Mar 20, 2019.

1. MEERSMOUNTAINMAN

MEERSMOUNTAINMAN New Member

LAUGH IF YOU WANT BUT I PLAN TO KILL A BIGFOOT CREATURE. I KNOW HOW THEY THINK AND SEVERAL TIMES I HAVE HAD THEM COME TO WITHIN 50 FT SEVERAL TIMES.

SHOULD I GET LUCKY AND BE THE FIRST EVER TO KILL ONE I AM RESEARCHING PREPARTION OF CARCASS BEFORE TAKING TO THE CREATURE TO A TAXIDERMIST.

MY FIRST QUESTION IS DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING EXCEPT GUT THE CREATURE.

I DOUBT IF I CAN FIND A TAXIDERMIST WHO WILL BE ABLE TO ACCOMADATE FREEZING SOMETHING THAT STAND 8 FT AND WEIGHS UP TO 800 POUNDS. I HAVE A ENCLOSED TRAILER AND WITH ADDING 4 INCHES OF SOLID INSULATION ON THE WALLS, FLOORS, AND CEILINGS WITH DRY ICE SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THAT PROBLEM UNTIL I CAN GET A WALKIN FREEZER INSTALLED.

DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL A TAXIDERMIST CAN TAKE OVER.

ALSO I PLAN TO TAKE A HEAD SHOT AND EXPECT DAMGE TO THE SKULL. REASON FOR HEADSHOT IS I DON''T WANT TO DRAG A 800 POUND OF BODY FOR A HALF MILE THRU THE FOREST. I HAVE SHOT A WILD HOG AND HIT BOTH LUNGS AND THE HEART AND IT RAN A QUARTER OF MILE BEFORE FALLING OVER.

CAN A GOOD TAXIDERMIST REBUILD THE SKULL WITH METAL AND SCREWS?

I WELCOME INPUT ON PREPARTATION OF BODY UNTIL A TAXIDERMIST CAN TAKE OVER.

Sitting Duck likes this.
  2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    You best check your state laws in killing one. There would of been one shot on a spring black bear hunt in the state of Washington if it wasn't illegal.

3. MEERSMOUNTAINMAN

I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED OUT THE STATE LAWS. SINCE BIGFOOT IS AN UNKNOWN ANIMAL, THE STATE CAN NOT CHARGE YOU WITH A CRIME. ONE MY PRIMARY REASONS FOR KILLING ONE IS TO PROVE THEY DO EXIST. ONCE IT IS PROVEN THEY ARE FOR REAL, THEN I WILL PUSH ALL STATES AND THE REST OF THE WORLD TO PASS LAWS MAKING IT ILLEGAL TO SHOOT ONE. THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF POST WHERE SOMEONE CLAIMS TO HAVE SHOT ONE OR KILLED ONE. I KNOW A LOT OF THE POST ARE MADE UP BY SOMEONE TRYING TO FEEL IMPORTANT. I ALSO KNOW THAT A LOT OF THE POST CLAIMING TO HAVE SHOT ONE. LET THAT BE THE CASE THEN A LOT OF THE BIGFOOT WILL DIE FROM AN INFECTION DAYS AND EVEN WEEKS LATER. THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP. THIS IS A IDEA I HAVE TOLLED WITH FOR YEARS, SO EVERYTHING IS RESEARCHED AND WELL THOUGHT OUT. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TAXIDERMY AND THAT IS WHY I TURNED TO THE PROFESSIONALS. SHOULD I GET LUCKY AND HARVEST ONE I WANT TO DO A DOCUMENTARY AND THE MAIN PART WILL BE SHOWING REAL BIGFOOT BE SKINED AND STUFFED. I WANT TO DONATE THE BODY LESS THE SKIN TO A UNIVERSITY. I WILL CROSS THAT BRIDGE WHEN I GET THERE, AND THERE WILL BE NO SHORTAGE OF UNIVERSITIES THAT WILL TAKE THE BODY FOR STUDY AND RESEARCH. BUT GETTING THE LAWS CHANGED IS MY MAIN CONCERN.

4. Fallenscale

NY
    Do the worry there a taxidermist that will mount it for you. You just go get em

John C likes this.
  5. If you get one call Ken walker

JL and John C like this.
  6. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    And stop YELLING

buckfever* likes this.
  7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

LOl .. yeah, all CAPs is yelling. Turn it off. :) I would not gut it at all and avoid that head shot. If they come within 50ft. Use a drugged arrow and it won't get far. Get it on ice ASAP and start making phone calls. You could probably make a ton of money by selling the complete internal organs and skeleton to a museum. Maybe enough to buy your own island somewhere. You would probably want to keep the skull and it will be a lot nicer looking if it isn't all smashed by a bullet. It probably could be reconstructed, but, as there isn't anything to compare it to to get the dimensions right, it may not be close to being accurate. You would only want the hide anyway and the rest of the carcass would be worth a large sum of money to the right person, museum or collector. I would try and avoid as much damage as possible.

8. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

We are going to need to know where you live if you want us to recommend a taxidermist!

9. tem

tem Well-Known Member

you can bate it with those beef jerks. the ones on tv that the star big foot likes.

JL and EA like this.
  10. MEERSMOUNTAINMAN

YOU THINK EVERY TAXIDERMIST IS SET UP TO HANDLE A 10 FT 800 POUND CREATURE. I DON'T SINCE MOST OF THEM ARE ONLY MOUNTING FISH, BIRDS, SQUIRELS AND A HEAD OFF OF A 175 POUND DEER. THERE ARE LOTS OF DEER HERE BUT THEY ARE SMALL. I AM JUST SEEKING INFORMATION ON WHAT I CAN DO TO PREPARE THE CARCASS. I JUST TODAY GOT A NAME FROM A FRIEND, BUT I HAVE NOT TAKEN THE TIME TO CALL HIM FOR ADVICE. I WANT TO BE PREPARED AND PLANNING FOR ANY AND EVERYTHING TO MAKE THINGS GO SMOOTH. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT.

11. Fallenscale

NY
    True is you if you want help you need to give some information where your going to take this 10 footer. So a taxidermist can be fairly local and be on notice to get there ASAP to look aftet. You do know your looking at a $20;000 plus taxidermy bill

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

1) A good portion of taxidermists do elk, which run 800 to 1500 pounds, and quite a few do moose, cape buffalo, bison, brown bears etc. All well over 500 pounds, so you are good there.

2) I wouldn't worry too much about the Sasquatch you kill with a head shot. It will go down easy enough. I would worry more about the one that snuck up on you from behind and has a giant rock raised above your head.;)

13. msestak

Erie, PA
    or likes the way you look when you bend over to check out the one you just shot. :eek:

Chippers and Rausch like this.
  14. If you shoot one there will be a large flash of light and done gone! No need for a taxidermist.

msestak and Fallenscale like this.
  15. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

what has this guy been smoking? if you had them within 50 feet several times , why no pics ? you get one Ill do it for free ,Oh yah they hang out in caves

magicmick likes this.
  16. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

BS

17. msestak

Erie, PA
    we need photos....clear, not blurry.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Be careful. They're never alone.

19. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Okay heres what to do from a professional!
    I would avoid the head shot...just too much risk of damage. Center mass will do, they are not that hard to kill....allegedly! First...it is a big animal (or thing) and will hold a lot of body heat! Take your pictures quickly then get the nasty thing gutted and propped open to cool! Just like a "800 pound" elk, moose etc! The best thing would be to skin it immediately using a dorsal incision but not before taking a butt load of measurements! Quarter and pack the meat and hide out as quickly as possible and get that hide turned and salted pronto, if the weather is warm! I cant emphasize that enough as getting a replacement hide on a squatch is dam near impossible nowadays!

After that it just a matter of choosing a taxidermist! Though price doesn't always guarantee quality this is no place to go cheap! You dont want a once in a life time trophy ruined by some "hacksidermist"! I''m not fishing for your business but here is my price list for North American squatch:

5 to 7 ft..........$12,000

7 to 9 ft..........$16,000

9 to 10ft..........$20,000

Over 10 ft........Call for quote.

Open mouth and special habitat scenes will be extra.

Tony Gonzalez, buckfever* and msestak like this.
  20. Fallenscale

NY

You must really want to mount one I would start at 20k and then go up.

I know your good, going to be a lot of work