1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing Iron Staining From Feathers ....

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GotHonks, Mar 24, 2019.

1. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

Ever since moving to NCal , pretty much every bird I get has serious rust staining on the bellies and face/heads ... they never leave the Rice .. so iron staining and really FAT birds are a few problems I always deal with .... Personally I want my birds to look as full of natural color as possible when it leaves the shop ....
    Being from Central CA I never delt with staining and had no clue as to how to remove it .... Talked to a few taxidermist in the area about how they delt with it .. And they said ...if you want a white bird .... shoot a white bird ... Not the answer I was looking for .... so I tried bleach , vinger and iron out . Didnt do anything ... Iron out is a pain in the butt so I gave up on it .... Searched around and found some stuff at Lone Star Taxidermy Supplies called STAIN AWAY, by James Taxidermy Supplies...
    This stuff is flat out Awesome!! You can use it in the wash or what I've been doing is dab a ball of cotton in it and wipe it on the stained areas , bad rust stains take a few applications but it really does a fantastic job .... My buddy says I should charge 50.00 extra to remove the rust stains (not something I'd think or like to charge extra for ) ... Would you guys charge extra ?.. Takes about 45 min on a bad bird ... Great Stuff ...
    Tried it out on an old severely stained Bull Sprig .. before and after pics 20190323_221020.jpg 20190323_221339.jpg 20190323_232409.jpg 20190323_232418.jpg

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I use Stuff called “the works”. Get it at the dollar store or family dollar. Squirt it on the stain in the wash. One application and the stains are gone. Maybe two if it’s very heavy. Most pintails and snows have lots of staining.
    Jim

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Whinks Stain Remover would easily remove those stains. Just squirt some in a little cold water, swish the duck around, and 'viola!, the stains are gone!

4. p baker

p baker New Member

1 cup of Muratic acid per gallon of water works good. Soak bird for 1 hour in the solution after washing. Can get it at Walmart, Lowes of Home Depot.

GotHonks likes this.
  5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Whinks for me! Right before my last rinse I squirt it on the offending feathers, rub it in and immediately into the rinse it goes

bucksnort10, GotHonks and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  6. Exterminater

Exterminater Member

Thinks is the best 1 or 2 mins and the birds white. I dont charge any extra to whiten birds to me it's just part of cleaning the bird same as if it was really bloody

Jeff

GotHonks and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  7. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

Guess I shoulda asked what you guys used first ..... This stuff was fairly cheap 8.00 .... I don't like to use this in the wash stage except on the stained heads ...made a small cup of it and dunk the head in and boy it removes the stain fast ....
    Like you , I won't charge extra for it .... Was just curious ...
    Thanks

Wildthings likes this.
  8. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

If you are doing extra work to clean off the stain, why not charge for the extra work? Telling the customer when he brings in the bird, that the stains are an extra charge to remove, allows him to decide if he wants to pay to have them cleaned up.

GotHonks, benp and 3bears like this.
  9. benp

benp New Member

Plus the added cost of buying the supplies to remove it.
    I would just put it up front and ask the customer if they want stains or stain free.

Me personally on my pintail that had rust stains I wanted it to stay that way because it tells a story of the bird and character that he has been places and before he made it to me. Personal preference

GotHonks likes this.
  10. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

I guess you guys are right about charging extra to clean the rust off , being I do it after the washing and it takes extra time .
    I also have guys that like the rust stains for the same purpose as you , but some of the Snows , Sprig and Wigeon I've taken in look horrible due to so much staining , I've had bull Sprig and Snows with completely gold bellies no white .... Even the white curl on the head of the sprig was gold..... Guy says to me it's a hybrid..... I said sorry to burst your bubble but ..its just severely iron stained from the rice ...... IMO Some staining is character, when you can't tell what kind of duck it is because of the staining , I have to make it look right ....

benp likes this.
  11. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

Winks is the way to go. You can pick it up a Wal-Mart for 3.00 or so. I use it on all my Swans, its never failed me.