1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Led Lights For Painting

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by antlermike, Mar 25, 2019.

1. I am moving my paint room to the other end of my basement and thinking of LEDs with incandescent there are several types of LED. Not sure which one to choose I know I dont like my florescent daylight and I have halogen track lights these are too bright and throw off more glare than I like just wondering if anyone has any ideas or should I stay away from LEDs

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I use nothing but daylight so I can get truer colors.
    Remember even different light creates different colors.
    What might look good in your shop light might and will look totally different in other lighting.

woakley144, Kerby Ross and JL like this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use 4 foot led lights in my shop and I think they work great but, as Frank mentioned, when I'm happy with how a fish looks in there, I take it outside or to my showroom if it is dark or raining to see how it looks there. Once it looks good in all areas I clear it.

woakley144 likes this.
  4. And putting a fish in competition room lighting is another challenge.

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

I do allot of fish competition work
    Was considering going to LED
    Was worried about the colors done under these then what it looks like out side
    What about a combination of both types ??

6. There are a selections of LEDS, its not just bright white. Go look at a lowes, they have several different colors. bright white, daylight etc.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I think people over think this. I just use the cheap florescent shop lights but not too bright as people's homes are not well lit. If your lighting is too bright the fish may look dark in a customer's home.

FishArt likes this.
  8. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I went to LED lights I found them Superior to florescent. IMO closer to true day light.

9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Same fish. Shop light vs outdoor overcast. Lighting makes a world of difference 3E6DB45E-766E-41BE-8445-4A2A11231272.jpeg

woakley144, msestak, JL and 2 others like this.
  10. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I agree. You never know where your customer is going to put their mount and what type of lighting they have! As long as you can see what you're doing and check your end result under several different types of lighting. I have a mixture of flourescents - full spectrum, soft whites and an abundance of natural light in my shop. Now Mudbat's camera/photos might be altering things as well vs seeing both "by eye". But, I'm sure some of that is valid. However, I also think Mudbat's customer would be ecstatic with either! You put in that much time and effort and get things that close, a subtle change in color from different sources of lighting isn't going to matter. JMO...

msestak and Cecil like this.
  11. Thanks for all the input guys, loved the Video John

FishArt likes this.
  12. Nice fish Mudbat!

13. FishArt

Yes, the video was rather informative. One thing to add that I am actually surprised was not covered in the video that I learned in college when hanging and lighting our gallery for student's Art Shows was bouncing light off the white walls. You can take floods or spots and angle them so that the light bounces off the white walls which then helps light your work area. This artist in the video looks like he had some challenges working in a dungeon but I think having black walls contributed to his lighting issues. White walls certainly make things difficult from a photography standpoint. But, for studios I believe it's the way to go. Glare is a big challenge when you point a light right at your fish or artwork. In fact it makes tipping scales very difficult sometimes. Having a combo of various lights and bouncing light off the white walls is a great solution IMO. Try bouncing some of your lights if you haven't done it already.

Sotired likes this.
  14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I converted to the 4 foot LED's some time ago and the difference was nothing less than amazing. That light (in a quality light that's going to run you $30+) is PURE WHITE LIGHT. In fact, they are so bright that I ended up having to put diffusers over mine. Therein lies the only setback to LED's. The light is directive and does not diffuse well without an external diffuser over them. If you try to go cheap and don't buy enough to effectively cover your work area, you're going to get sharp and distinct shadows. My shop is 24x24 in a 9 foot ceiling and in the ceiling I have 3 rows of 3 lights evenly spaced. The first row over the desk area is diffused while the other 6 are exposed. Then I have one hanging about 3 feet over my work table for the finer, more detailed work. Before replacing them, I had 6 -4 high intensity bulb, 4 feet long florescent lights. No comparison. I assure you that I flip the switch I turn the night time into daylight in my shop. Best investment I ever made and both the electric costs and the bulb replacement costs, not to mention the ballasts that only last a year or two was well worth the conversion. I don't suggest going to Lowes. Their lights are overpriced in my opinion as Walmart sells the same light for half (when you can find them in stock). I went on Amazon and bought them in bulk, had them in two days with free shipping, and still saved money.

15. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

LED's are the only way to go in shop lighting. No ballasts to burn out , no bulbs to replace and they cost way less to run. As someone mentioned you can get led's with different tones in the blue to yellow range and some are changeable with a remote. You can also make a roll around stand so that an upright 4' led fixture can be attached. You can wire an LED approved dimmer in the power cord and have a light that is moveable and changeable in intensity.
    Having natural light coming in the paint room is an added bonus (I have three windows on two sides) but I still paint lots of fish after the sun goes down. If you had just northern exposure on your natural light it would be great but you gotta deal with the cards you are dealt.

16. FishArt

What I want to know is why do the LED headlights in all cars and trucks SUCK??? They blind on coming drivers and also suck for seeing at night. I realize I'm getting older and my eyes don't work as well as they use to when I was younger. But, I believe there is not a single new vehicle in the U.S. - auto or truck that rates higher than "poor" when it comes to stock headlights. The headlights "back in the day" (when they were sealed full headlights and not just the bulbs) worked much better! The worst thing though is the idiots that replace their stock headlights with bright- ass LED's and don't adjust them. You can't even tell anymore if people have their brights on or not! Sometimes I just look to the right edge of the road and hope for the best because you can't see anything for a few seconds after they pass!

msestak and JL like this.
  17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Marty, led headlights do seem to blind me as well, I wonder why, maybe because it is a cleaner, brighter light? I have never driven a vehicle with them so can't comment on that end. I do know when I got sick of paying for and replacing fluorescent bulbs, I decided to try and replaced one with a 4 foot led, it was like night and day, within a week I had replaced all 5 of em. I'm no spring chicken and the eyes aren't what they use to be but I can say that I catch more mistakes I've made having those lights than I did prior. Well worth the samll investment, oh and that was what at least 4 years ago now and have not had any issues since, not the same as any other kinds of lighting.

18. FishArt

3Bears, I'm probably lumping in a lot of the newer, non-LED headlights as well. And they may be the bulk of the problem as few automakers put LED's in as standard. I know the newer Silverado offers LED's, but they also rated "poor". My sister has a brand new 4Runner and I think they are high intensity something or another's. Since I rarely drink I get to be DD and drove it home a couple of times at night. The stock headlights on her 4Runner are AWFUL!!! So, I may be giving the LED's a bad rap and may in fact be whining more about the newer non-LED lights on most vehicles. From what I've read having self adjusting headlights is also a major plus. This is due to adding and subtracting weight in one's vehicle inevitably changes where the headlights normally point with an empty or one person load. As you can tell, this subject irks me! Here they have all this technology into vehicles these days yet they totally miss the boat on one of the basic driving needs. Being able to see well!!! I have to wonder how many have died due to poor vision and/or being blinded by on-coming headlights!

antlermike likes this.
  19. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I guess the moral of the story is don't use your new car headlights to paint your fish.

Cecil, FishArt, swb and 1 other person like this.
  20. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

I don't paint under headlights
    But thanks guys for the great info
    CL

FishArt likes this.