1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is This "commercial Taxidermy"?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Mar 25, 2019.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Taxidermy.jpg

JL, Chippers and FishArt like this.
  2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I posted the cartoon simply because there is such a disparity in what we consider "commercial" taxidermy. For years I considered myself a commercial, full service taxidermist until I began to look around at what the market was withstanding. Obviously we have no standards in this industry other than those we impose on ourselves. So I'll just let you guys tell me exactly what "commercial taxidermy" is and where you fit on that scale.

artwildcreate likes this.

3. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

"No standards " , Where have I heard that ? I remember it was in the early 1970s , 45 or 50 years ago . It was brought up by and authored by Joe Kish in his Taxidermy Review magazine. We must have had it before that time as he brought it up and wrote about it . How long has this "professional industry" had "no" standards ? My guess is since Christ was a carpenter.

freeze_1 and D.Price like this.
  4. Wrong job to be in if you don't have high standards as your work is out there, but not every doctor has high standards either .

freeze_1 likes this.
  5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

George, that's actually a fantastic example of why taxidermy is not Art! At least in the way most of us perform taxidermy. With Art there are no boundaries. Picasso obviously crossed that line here!

Megan :) and NMJagdHunter like this.
  6. At this point from what I see put out of some shop doors and the way some run their businesses I don't know how you would set industry wide "standards"!

So I set my own standards and let my work speak for itself. I'm not perfect by no means, but I do give it my best effort to be.

To answer your question George, I'm not sure of the definition of "commercial taxidermy", but I do feel pretty confident that my work is on the higher end!

DP

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  7. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I been told that's what the state taxidermy conferences are for so you can enter your work or piece of art have it judged on a sliding scale depending on your level. So I think it wrong to say there is no standard. there is just no standard of what one can do for a paying customer. It all comes down to that one word that is so often lacking. Integrity

rigbobby, Lance.G and magicmick like this.
  8. FishArt

The problem D Price is EVERYBODY thinks their work is the bomb - lol!

Whether the taxidermist or the customer, a true Artist can see the differences. Luckily for many taxidermists, there are plenty of customers out there that are also lacking in Artistic ability or having artistic "eyes".

Pennsylvania I believe has a minimum test to get your taxidermy license. Not sure how well it works though. And how many maintain that standard in their own work after passing?

Fallenscale - a valid point. But, there's still no guarantee they hold any high standard in their commercial work. Those taxidermists trying to improve whether through their own eyes or assumed qualified others via competitions, etc. are probably not the problem in this industry when it comes to quality. Realistically, the minimum standard in this industry when it comes to animals is two eyes, a nose and two ears and after that, anything goes!

"Commercial Taxidermy" in this industry is a moving target and hence so many of us get into heated debates. Everybody's definition on where to draw the line is different. Competitions help educate but one still has to make choices in order to make money on the commercial side. Commercial taxidermy can be anything from the hack (there IS a market btw) on up to those pushing the envelope nearing competition quality. Most of those folks are part timers and don't get compensated fairly for their time. It's truly a matter of perspective. We ALL look like hacks to some of the best of the best!

antlermike and George like this.
  9. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    To the true artist most of the fish mannequins are so unreal tail up or down fish can't move them that way in the water norther pike the biggest u shape unless your habitat scene is a person holding it by the tail and head that so awful. The list goes on.

FishArt likes this.
  10. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    i was told that the standards for "commercial Taxidermy" are, that any piece on your shop wall waiting for customer pick up should be a third place winner in a State competition at the Professional level.

JL, Fallenscale and FishArt like this.
  11. FishArt

Which state? I've heard their comps can vary considerably...

12. FishArt

I wouldn't know how to even order the correct size!!! Ha! Ha! Have always just carved my own.

JL likes this.
  13. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    the State you are doing Taxidermy in. that way, their Standards are your Standards.

FishArt likes this.
  14. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

My opinion is every piece you put out should Atleast be able to blue in pro

D.Price likes this.
  15. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

:)

Just saying ....

Kerby... taximonitor.jpg

Cory, Megan :), Chippers and 8 others like this.
  16. FishArt

But the vast majority of my work is out of state - lol! SHould I adjust my standard based on each state? :)

msestak likes this.
  17. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

My clients tell me I'm the best. Nothing else matters to me.

JL, D.Price, msestak and 3 others like this.
  18. My humble opinion is this. With the high level of work being done for competition I don't think that most taxidermists could make a living doing that level of work. You simply cannot spend 40 hrs. or more on every mount you do and make the money you need to survive. And why worry about what somebody else is doing? If you have customers that like your work that is all that matters and I have also seen showrooms full of mounts with ribbons on them that look a little different than the work that goes out on a daily basis.

rigbobby, John C, George and 6 others like this.
  19. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I know a couple of shops that are way busy and charge a pretty penny for their work .... and have high quality.... and make way more money doing taxidermy than most.

Kerby...

JL, Setsuna, rigbobby and 1 other person like this.
  20. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

05593A14-636B-41B7-93D1-70293354D91D.jpeg Marty about the coyote you sent to me?