1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

4 Duck Mount Would Like Critique

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mama tried kennels, Mar 28, 2019.

1. mama tried kennels

mama tried kennels New Member

Hey this is my 4th duck would like critique so I can learn from mistakes and get better. I know the bill color is off I'm still not good at the colors to get them right...anyhow only pic i have I know it can be zoomed in on the phone not sure about on here.

Attached Files:

2. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

Not Bad at all , looks like the first Wigeon I ever mounted same bill color I used too ...a little bright ...try Testores Model Masters in French RF grey its dead on for Wigeon and Sprig no mixing just base coat and spray it ..... Looks like your getting there . You'll get better with each bird you work on ... When I decided to start mounting birds I shot and saved 25 Ring Necks to practice on ... By about the 4th or 5th ... I finally figured out that you can't cut corners during the defating /washing stage .... Its the most important steps in bird taxidermy .... Don't get it right and it will show down the road ...

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The first thing I noticed was not your color issues but the length of the bird's neck. I'm not a big fan of the suppliers necks but for a beginner, buying something like the Joe Ferebee neck or the entire mounting kit by species will give you a better idea of neck length on specific birds. I think the mount looks good. PERSONALLY, I always tucked the "elbows" in a bit closer so I could close down the scapular, but that was my preference.