1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finishing A Deer Nose

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Brian Hayes, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Brian Hayes

Brian Hayes New Member

2A43399E-6962-4103-985F-67229692FDD8.jpeg I recently started airbrushing a deer nose as part of my finishing touches, i have had excellent results with colors but am curious as to what is best to top coat with since polytranspar lacquer airbrush paints does not stick to hair I like using them but im worried about the top clear coat not holding up down the road, any advice?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Richard C likes this.
  2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i use clear nail polish. if it holds up to a womens nails it will hold up to the nose.

Fallenscale likes this.

3. Brian Hayes

Brian Hayes New Member

Does anyone use mod podge as a top coat over airbrushed colors? Thought about trying it.

4. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Member

I know that Master Taxidermist Bill Atkins does he says it gives it some depth.

Brian Hayes likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Brian, that's what I do.

Brian Hayes likes this.
  6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Same here - Mod Podge as a final coat.

Brian Hayes likes this.
  7. taxidermyfreak

taxidermyfreak ***RIP DAD & JONNY***

Use it first then paint then clear coat

8. Brian Hayes

Brian Hayes New Member

Thanks everyone for your input im working on a gross 181 3/8 Whitetail and really wanted to give my customer an outstanding mount, i will definitely try it

9. Brian Hayes

Brian Hayes New Member

I
    I use mod podge already to build the nodules to add more shape since i got away from the dan d noser tool, then airbrush my paint layers and then i will topcoat heavily with gloss lacquer it looks fine just looking for something extra but thank you

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The Mod Podge applied over your painted Mod Podge nodules is that extra that will make it pop.

Jackson1814 likes this.
  11. Tony Gonzalez

Tony Gonzalez New Member

I've got limited experience as I am only on my third mount, but I used mod podge as well for final. I did however order polytranspar's wetlook gloss, the waterbased. In whitetail a-z Rick Carter uses that applied with a brush I believe.

12. I do as Brian Hayes does but I am going to try the mod podge on my next deer and compare the results. Always getting good info on this sight. Never hurts to try something new.