1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question About "rolling" Eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by LeadHead, Mar 29, 2019.

1. LeadHead

LeadHead New Member

First off, I'm not a taxidermist, myself, but have lurked and read a lot of helpful information in these forums many times over the years and figured you guys would be able to help. My taxidermist is getting ready to start on a whitetail buck of mine ( a high-160's rack) and I have chosen the Ben Mears form #FB-224, the fighting buck, and I need some input from some experts.
    I am toying with the idea of the eyes being slightly rolled so that some of the white shows, ears laid back and maybe even have an open mouth. In my mind this should give a very aggressive appearance of the buck being in an all-out fight. With his size (he has 12" G2's and 10-11" G3's) it just sounds like a really cool pose. I have searched all over the Internet and can find almost zero pictures of whitetail eyes being done this way but have a difficult time believing that it's not been done many times. Have any of you done a mount like this and could you provide pictures if you have?
    Any respectful and constructive criticism would be appreciated, and if this truly sounds like a bad idea please let me know..

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would not rely on a mount someone did and instead, would find a pic of a live deer rolling their eyes while fighting. Live reference is ALWAYS best. As taxidermists, we strive to copy realism in nature, not someone else's work. There is a lot of pics of deer rolling their eyes and fighting on the internet.

Lance.G, LeadHead, aussiesam and 2 others like this.

3. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

What does your taxidermist say?

4. LeadHead

LeadHead New Member

I totally agree, although sometimes when you see a mount it simply looks "right" because it's indeed realistic.

5. LeadHead

LeadHead New Member

I plan to see him tomorrow evening. It's a 45 minute trip one-way and I wanted to go into the conversation with him a little better educated than I was. He's a great guy to deal with but I just wanted input from others to give me things to consider.

6. LeadHead

LeadHead New Member