1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Bird Since Taxidermy School

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by juli, Mar 30, 2019.

1. juli

juli Active Member

Only 20 yrs later...I think we did 3 birds in school..2 ducks and a pheasant. Fleshing is a royal pita.. hahahaha
    Damn it took forever and I am still not done! Any and all critiques are welcome. 15539955905653751890172791841252.jpg

Pete-pec, msestak, benp and 5 others like this.
  2. Welcome back to the dark side.

juli likes this.

3. juli

juli Active Member

Thanks MM - I always wanted to work on birds, but never had the time when I lived in AK. Too many mammals to work on.... Now that I am without work while I get the new shop up and running, I get to work on things I want to. LOL... Have to say, it is much less stressful than working on customer mounts. hahahaha!

I am really surprised no one has come up with any critiques. I think it is a nice mount, but... hell, I KNOW it isn't THAT good. I have been adjusting feathers the last couple of days. Trying to get the clean definition between the white/brown feather on then neck seems impossible.... In taxidermy school we rebuilt the muscles on the wings and legs... I think I overdid it? I can't get the little feathers on the leading edge of the wing to stay down.

Also - when I fleshed the wings I separated the quills down to the skin. Is this correct? It seemed to make the flight feathers and pectoral feathers (or whatever they are called) very floppy....

msestak likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You're off to a great start! Hang in there. I don't mount waterfowl anymore due to time constraints. I do still mount turkeys. I began to wholesale waterfowl out a few years back. Fleshing will get easier with time. If you don't have a duck wheel, buy one ASAP. They are a great timesaver!

msestak likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Here's my critique, for what it is worth, it looks pretty clean and overall decent but my question is, why does gravity effect only parts of the bird or feathers? I.E. the tail is cranked over towards the floor but the right wing is sticking up and the scaps are standing up, the left foot and wrist are also going against gravity. The wrist and primaries being folded up in that position is probably causing the the feather issue on the front of the wings. When after the kill it was hung and rigor mortis do have an effect on this pose and it seems that many kind of wing it when they do these types of mounts. Pun intended.

juli likes this.
  6. juli

juli Active Member

Thank you 3bears! I see exactly what you are saying. I suppose I was trying to be a little more artistic than realistic... LOL! Pintails are such pretty birds and I let the beauty of the feathers overpower the 'reality' of what the mount would really look like as a hanging dead bird. :)

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome. I think we all take a little artistic freedom on hanging dead poses. If we really followed reference pics it would not be ultimately attractive. Blood , big open wounds and broken bones are almost always present with shot birds.

juli likes this.
  8. Your spot on juli,i think your being to hard on yourself :) first in 20yrs it's great.

juli likes this.
  9. juli

juli Active Member

well, it does look like a duck! hahaha :)

magicmick likes this.
  10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

"wing it"! LOL! That describes just about everything I do!

magicmick, 3bears and juli like this.
  11. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

The head usually hangs more vertically but the body attitude is causing that mostly. Your top hanging leg doesn’t look to have the birds weight on it so it’s ( the body)not hanging. Reference pics of dead birds really helps here. Not mounted ones.
    Left side scraps could be opened up more. Overall it’s a nice piece and dead mounts can look tight or loose depending on how the bird was when put on the strap. You might want to inject the feet so they don’t look so dried out.
    Jim

12. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

Looks great, especially for a 20 year hiatus!
    The only thing that really stands out to me, because I have done it, is the mantle and the rump feathers out of place. This usually happens when the skin gets a little too dry and wants to pull those feathers all out of whack. The mantle feathers want to pull in the direction of the wings and the rump feathers want to stand up and not lay flat to the body. That might also be causing your grooming issue with the line in the neck/head.