1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scratched Glass Eye

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by TeriBryant, Apr 2, 2019.

1. How would you fix a scratch on a glass eye that is already on a dried mount?

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

dont quote me but a long time ago someone had the same ?. i think he was told to use some kind of clear finish. like finger nail polish. it filled in the scratch. cover the whloe eye.

3. Thank you, we will try that!

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Something to keep in mind. Let us know if it works.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sadly, not only doesn't it make the scratch vanish, you will notice it every time you see your mount. Your very best repair is to replace the eye. Simply wet a cloth with water with softener added or (amazingly) Windex. lay it over the complete eye and brow. Then wrap your mount in plastic freezer wrap and let it set overnight. Check it the next day and if the skin doesn't move easily, wet the eye down, replenish the moisture in the cloth, and rewrap for another day. When the clay becomes soft enough, use a scribe and pry the glass eye out from under the lid and replace it. Then rework your clay and allow to dry for at least 72 hours.

drob, Jackson1814 and FishArt like this.
  6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Now I use this approach on fish restores with glass eyes that I either need to replace or fix a scratch. I agree with George in that trying to repair will probably still be visible. But, depending on how bad the scratch is and where it might be worth a try fixing before removing it and replacing. You can either re-gloss it several times and build up the gloss to help hide. Or, you can lightly sand the eye in the area with 200/400 grit to "polish" the glass. Then, hit with gloss several times if need be.

If neither of these work and I have to replace the glass eye I simply put eye protection on and take a pointy punch and one quick smack with a ball peen hammer is all it takes! The eye will then come out in pieces. You may have to grind out the edges, but all the glass will come out this way.

7. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Remember don't force it get a bigger hammer. :)

FishArt likes this.
  8. Manny81

Manny81 Member

Wondering if anyone tried clear tabletop epoxy. That stuff stays shiny

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Your a couple years late lol , but yes that does work. The thing is you have to do it at the perfect time and in the perfect environment, meaning dirt and dust free area and when the stuff is at the perfect kicking off spot . I once scratched an eye on a competition pcs the day before I left . I used envirotect lite , but I did it to both eyes , this way there wasn’t a difference in clarity . Judge’s never caught it at 2 different state shows .

Westcoast likes this.