1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Keeping Skin Damp While Drying

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Cameron Young, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Cameron Young

Cameron Young New Member

What does everyone do to keep their skin damp during drying? Mine tends to shrink way too much making it a pain to get over the head and it seems like my skin doesn’t want to fit my form sometimes after drying. Any advice would be great!
    Thanks

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

damp paper towels

GotHonks and magicmick like this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You're maybe using the wrong size form, when it comes to birds, "One size" doesn't fit all, or over drying your birds. You do want the feathers dry and the down fluffy but without drying the skin too much. If you use a hair dryer, don't use it on the hot setting and blow away from the incision mostly, that and also what wildthings mentioned

magicmick likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Paint brush and water.

Wildthings likes this.
  5. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

I use damp paper towels and sometimes just mist inside with a spray bottle ... I'm sick of blow drying birds (mostly geese) already , it takes too much time to get the down dry causing dry skin even trying to keep it moist I tend to forget to keep it wet and then I rip holes too easy , compared to the tumbler ... Toss the bird in and within 10 min , its fluffy and skin is still moist .... I'm definitely making the 5 hr drive to get mine within a week or 2 ... Much better way to go ....I've done both and the Tumbler wins hands down ...kicking myself for not moving it when we moved ...

6. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

Shop-Vac hose on the exhaust opening it will get warm but dries the birds quick. Used mine on teal to geese. Also a big fan of the tumbler w cobb grit

7. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

Shop vac for me as well.i leg to leg my birds when skinning.An advantage of this,(to me at least) is when the drying process starts there is less skin exposed to the air blowing on it.

Wildthings likes this.
  8. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

In the past I had a lot of concerns with the corncob grit getting stuck in the feathers and was a PITA to get out! That's why I went away from the tumbler Hmmm should I give it another try??

9. hambone

hambone Member

I wrap my own bodies and I keep a few various sizes around just to use when drying, I put one in and pin the incision shut I leave the neck straight out which keeps it from flopping around I then use a leaf blower to do most of the drying and finish with hair dryer or vac.

10. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Walmart sells a pet dryer for around $90. I rumple them and finish with the pet dryer without heat. The air is still warm. I got mine in a raffle that I thought I was putting tickets in for a smoker.

11. I wire and mount all of my birds wet, sew up, then dry with a blow dryer set on high and fluctuate between the cool/warm heat setting...also they get a dip in chinchilla dust.