1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Turkey

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Exterminater, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Exterminater

Exterminater Member

I mounted my first Turkey last night and all I can say is what a pain a little over 12 hours to mount it up lol. In the video I got it didnt say anything about injecting the feet. Should I inject them with anything? Heres a few pics of it the head skin junction is a little rought any tricks to get it smoother or is that just how they are and it still needs a little more grooming

Jeffrey 20190402_235550.jpg 20190402_235734.jpg

2. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

Turkey's are a lot of work ... Looks real niçe !

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Inject those feet! Use Master's Blend or Fantastic cast or formalin and glycerin or what ever you like, but, inject them.

msestak likes this.
  4. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Great job on your first turkey. You can be proud 12 hours not so bad for the first time. You took pride in making it come out so good.

5. Exterminater

Exterminater Member

Thanks everyone. Used up the last of my masters blend on them man they take a lot lol. Now to try something else to inject my feet until masters blend is back out

Jeffrey

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The hard truth is that no one will ever look at those feet. I never injected mine though I did paint them.

msestak likes this.
  7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Every turkey hunter that comes into my shop and sees my turkey mounts, walks right over and looks at the spurs. Those spurs sit right up above the feet, so yes, some will see the feet. They may not know the difference between injected and not injected feet though.

I had a turkey that had a problem foot and for the life of me I could not get any injection fluid into most of it. So, one foot was injected and one was not except one and one half toes. Honestly, the difference between the two, although noticeable, it isn't great enough to worry much about. Someone who knows something about birds could pick it out easily, but, it isn't off-putting.

I still advocate for injecting.

msestak and bucksnort10 like this.
  8. p baker

p baker New Member

Great job!

9. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

I must be a nobody then too as I always look at the feet.

KLFL, 3bears and socalmountainman like this.
  10. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

Good Job. You should make injecting your feet a must with all your birds unless you cast your own feet.

little fred likes this.
  11. brettdef

brettdef Member

You did great for your first bird(Turkey)

Injection is a must and if you soak your feet in water and dawn it will make the injection process easier!!

BrettD

bucksnort10, Wildthings and msestak like this.
  12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Glad to see you back Brett. You were missed.

13. desertbull

desertbull New Member

I think it is awesome!