1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Zebra Reference

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Cathy, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

Here is a photo of a mature zebra stallion. (Credit to John Bellucci) Notice the amount of wrinkles through the throat and jowls. A young colt would not have this, so could not be used as reference mounting/judging a large, mature stallion. The picture below is my first zebra mount. Compare to the live one and I certainly did not over-do the bunches of skin, if anything, I under-did them. I am not asking for a critique of my zebra (unless you are only referring to the throat/jowl area) I am simply sharing a reference that is not always paid attention to.

zebra 3.JPG
    zebra 1.JPG

2. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Nice mount. If we mounted some animals using pictures like the above one for competition we’d get dinged. That’s a lot of wrinkles.
    I had a lifesize Mount I did and the judge said that’s not how they look when running. You need to use live references. So I showed him the picture reference I used. He then said you can justify anything with a picture.

3. taxidermyfreak

taxidermyfreak ***RIP DAD & JONNY***

Lol all about opinions and how did he justify his opinion lol just saying and I really like the detail you put in NOT to much but just enough just my opinion lol

4. Sound like the judge was justifying his OPINION with a photo.

5. Your photo is of an aged stud. and one that is over feed. My Daughter and SOn have raised zebra for the last 13 years for her and 21 for him. there is a huge difference in aged zebra and younger ones.