1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mount Ever - Need Tips!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by iceicebaby93, Apr 3, 2019.

1. iceicebaby93

iceicebaby93 New Member

Hi there, I've been reading all the stuff I can and looking online but I am about to do my first mount ever - a coyote shoulder mount, and I'm totally freaked out, and even though I have read and watched things, I feel like I have NO idea what I'm doing! Totally freaking out here. Any tips and links to tutorials would be helpful, especially for yotes, but right now I'll take anything, links, tips, just to make myself feel like I'm not going to screw this up SO bad!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Go to Research Mannikins and order their coyote DVD. It is on shoulder mount coyote. It will answer all your questions and show you how to do it.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

After watching DVD instruction and reading up as much as you can, as you have done, you need to just jump in and do one or two (or 3...). I would suggest you get some animals to practice the skinning, preservation and mounting processes with the goal of learning how, without the pressure of producing a quality mount or not “ruining it”. Cut yourself some slack as you learn, and learning requires practice, which necesitates running the risk of failure.

pir^2h likes this.
  4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

What Mike Powell said! We all have to start someplace. Take your time and concentrate. What I did on a deer head once was I played the DVD and paused it as I went along following the instructor. Worked out pretty well. Do it with a couple skins before abondoning the step by step visual instruction. Best to you.

Vic

5. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    It's just like baking a cake. Make sure you have everything you need. Then pick a day when your in the right frame of mind. Write down all the steps you need to make in the orders they need to be done. Think about doing all the step days before you start the mount. And once again have everything you need layed out before you begin.

Good Luck

Richs Taxidermy likes this.
  6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Also use live animal reference pictures as you work. There are many on here as well as other sites.

Fallenscale likes this.
  7. iceicebaby93

iceicebaby93 New Member

Thank you everyone for the info! Definitely taking this all to heart!