1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Reproduction Crappie Painting Help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jigginjim, Apr 3, 2019.

1. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have rick Kranes Black Crappie reproduction DVD, but I don't have all the powders and the colors he his in the dvd. Any other Ideas? Mine is still white from world class taxidermy, I have remodeled a few places. Thinking doing the black and steel wool. Then lightly yellow base coat, then using paynes gray. over that to make the darker fins and top of the back.
    Looking for other ideas. My first repro, crappie for a customer, still would like it to come out really nice I get picky it times on finishing.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've done some some nice crappie repros without powders. I would antique first as you mentioned, but I leave the fins clear followed by the dark webbing pattern as I believe that's the way they are on the life fish. The colors I use are off white, chrome pearlescent, bright yellow, any blue, and black. The key to getting a realistic crappie paint job is to get the scale and fins markings correct. And once common mistake is overpainting.

You need some good reference pics, of which Google has a few under black or white crappie and then click images. Some crappie have yellow on their flanks and fins but not all do. The bright yellow I use is applied to the dorsal surface lightly followed by blue to produce a blue green. I also lightly apply the bright yellow on the pelvice fins lightly. The pectoral fin is left clear.

Not sure what Rick does in the video, but painting latex on the fins and painting over that and then peeling off the latex is supposed to be a good technique to recreate the webbing effect, although I've never tried it. I do know that pulling that off can be challenging especially when you first do it so the latex technique should help.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Monty Python likes this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I believe Cole C. offers a video on that with some easy to follow guidelines.

Cecil likes this.