1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Albino Raccoon

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by David M, Apr 4, 2019.

1. David M

David M New Member

How rare are albino raccoons? Would one that is mounted have any value?

Attached Files:

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    There not common at all. Does this coon have pink eyes? It maybe a white phase coon. Which is also uncommon too. Every thing has a value. Just need to find the right party that is looking for what you have.

David M likes this.

3. Setsuna

Setsuna New Member

It did just died naturally or u just got him now?

David M likes this.
  4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you can, get the blood off and take pictures and measurements. Get it into the freezer asap. Post your pictures in the sale section. Yes, they have a value. Quality of the fur and damage will count some. Might want to search the archives and maybe eBay and see what previous albino coons sold for. With the pink nose, it does look like an albino. What color are it's eyes? Pink, black or blue?

David M likes this.
  5. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

if you shot it in the head it is worth less than it would have been with any means of killing other than a shot. shooting is a very poor way to kill taxidermy specimens, no matter where shot, but head shot is difficult to repair if in the face o rshort furred head vs long furred body. if it was mine and no damage I`d list it in the $75 to $150 range pending size and quality. this means good feet, winter prime, full size adult, northern states origi and not south. etc etc.

David M likes this.
  6. David M

David M New Member

She does have pink eyes. Quite an amazing looking animal. That is what I was thinking as far as value goes.

7. David M

David M New Member

Makes sense. I appreciate your feedback Bob.

8. David M

David M New Member

She is a true albino. Pink eyes and nose. No markings anywhere. I cleaned her up just after the pictures and put into the freezer. I have done some online research and haven’t come up with much. That’s why I wanted to check the forum to see if anyone had any experience with them.

9. David M

David M New Member

I shot it yesterday morning. I was going to let it be seeing how it was so rare but decided I would rather have it in the freezer. They don’t have a very long life span in the wild because they have no camouflage.

Setsuna likes this.
  10. Fallenscale

NY
    It not wot less if shot in the head with a 22 cal. A good many foxes and coon coyoteso have been mounted head shot

David M likes this.
  11. David M

David M New Member

I shot it with a .22 magnum. Apparently Bob stalks them and strangles them. I appreciate your feedback on this. I believe I’m going to put it up on my wall rather than sell it. Has more value to me in that sense.

Fallenscale likes this.
  12. bob wendt

anyone can do whatever they want. me personally I would never head shoot any taxidermy specimen, nor would my customers wan tanything head shot. not wanting an argument, just telling my experience. not my coon, not my sale. dave m. , where are you located?

rogerswildlife and David M like this.
  13. Fallenscale

NY
    I don't blame you getting it mounted. More then likely the last one you'll ever get. Congrats on taking this trophy

Setsuna and David M like this.
  14. David M

David M New Member

I understand and I appreciate the feedback. It’s good to know for future reference. I’m located in central Florida.

15. Fallenscale

NY
    You would if you ever trap in GA

David M likes this.
  16. David M

David M New Member

T
    Thank you Fallenscale.
    i apologize Bob. I was just joking around earlier about stalking and strangling. Everyone has their way of doing it. I’ve just always shot them in the head with my magnum.

17. Setsuna

Setsuna New Member

I live in Florida too wow nice how u to an albino

David M likes this.
  18. bob wendt

google pole injection or use of injection to kill trapped animals. most trappers use a pole with a syringe on the end to inject into the chest. fast, humane, no blood, no holes, no smell from skunks spraying. most trapper supply catalogs sell a complete pole type outfit to do that. ck out schmit enterprises in new ulm mn.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    David M likes this.
  19. David M

David M New Member

Honestly, I didn’t trap the coon. I decided it would’ve been too time consuming so I slipped in and head shot it.